Why become a member? ×

Band tryout advice needed

lowdowner

Just now, lowdowner said:

it's ok, I understand what you're saying. I guess my immediate thought was a question.. if I want to hold down my job(s), fund healthcare for my partner, look after my family, does this mean that I can't join a band because I can't stay up all night to practice six songs or is there a possible compromise where I show some potential but aren't note perfect? 

Don't *most* people who play in amateur bands have compromises to make - otherwise why not be professional if you can spend all night for a week preparing for a rehearsal?

I admire the dedication of us who can afford to practice at the expense of everything else though.

I guess you just have to choose and decide what you can and cant do. I work full time, and only have a few hours free in the evenings. Very rare that I would spend all night playing. That’s why I tend to get the songs in my head first, as listening on headphones can be done away from home. Once I feel I’m familiar with the songs then its easier to learn them. 

Not everyone learns at the same speed so don’t beat yourself up about it. My posts are just explaining what I do and why. When depp’ing you have to supply the goods as you are being  paid to, but for an auditon you may find its not the best that gets the job, but the one that the band feel more comfortable with. You could be the worst of the lot but if the other members take to you you can still get the job, although that’s when the hard works starts.

Are you sure you can commit to this if your time is limited?

3 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

it's ok, I understand what you're saying. I guess my immediate thought was a question.. if I want to hold down my job(s), fund healthcare for my partner, look after my family, does this mean that I can't join a band because I can't stay up all night to practice six songs or is there a possible compromise where I show some potential but aren't note perfect? 

Don't *most* people who play in amateur bands have compromises to make - otherwise why not be professional if you can spend all night for a week preparing for a rehearsal?

I admire the dedication of us who can afford to practice at the expense of everything else though.

I think anyone sensible would understand that you cannot dedicate limitless time, to the detriment of other areas of your life, to a band/music/etc. Its up to you to find that balance. I'd not try to overanalyse it, instead focus on the tasks in hand and try not to panic or worry about the required work. As said before, there's a "knack" to learning songs quick, its a skill which can be developed. Just do your best - you yourself will know if this is the case - it doesn't need an internet forum to tell you.

If you've done your best, then you have a good chance (you've got the tryout, after all) but realistically whether you can "join the band" is somewhat outside your control - its the decision of the existing ones in the band - so I'd not worry about it. Approach it positively and even if you don't get in, use it as a learning experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I think anyone sensible would understand that you cannot dedicate limitless time, to the detriment of other areas of your life, to a band/music/etc. Its up to you to find that balance. I'd not try to overanalyse it, instead focus on the tasks in hand and try not to panic or worry about the required work. As said before, there's a "knack" to learning songs quick, its a skill which can be developed. Just do your best - you yourself will know if this is the case - it doesn't need an internet forum to tell you.

If you've done your best, then you have a good chance (you've got the tryout, after all) but realistically whether you can "join the band" is somewhat outside your control - its the decision of the existing ones in the band - so I'd not worry about it. Approach it positively and even if you don't get in, use it as a learning experience.

Good point, but exactly why I say ask questions prior to the audition and it has to be a really good reason you want to be in a band.

And for some bands knowing the material alone isn't enough to get in. You might live too far from gigs and rehearsals.

I read a story about a guy that auditioned for Prince and didn't get in because he didn't have the look for the band.

Blue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Good point, but exactly why I say ask questions prior to the audition and it has to be a really good reason you want to be in a band.

And for some bands knowing the material alone isn't enough to get in. You might live too far from gigs and rehearsals.

I read a story about a guy that auditioned for Prince and didn't get in because he didn't have the look for the band.

Blue

I *definitely* don't have the look for a price band... more chas and Dave! :)

10 hours ago, steantval said:

Just out of interest, what are the six songs you need to learn?

All Fleetwood Mac:

Gold Dust  Woman 
Landslide
Don’t Stop 
Dreams
Rhiannon 
The Chain

I've spent a few hours going through them and I'm not as phased by the idea as I was when I first thought about it. Luckily, none of these are 'funkmiester masterpieces' in terms of bass complexity.

Also, I've spent a lifetime of listening to these tracks on and off so they're not that new to me in terms of structure but it's funny how you tend not to analyse and memorise the structure of songs when you're listening to them casually.

A week is quite a long time. Once you commit to learning them they'll fall into place.

First thing i do is get the songs on a CD as i prefer the sound quality for learning rather than MP3. I pick the first song and make sure i can actually play all the parts

I spend the first half hour by just playing along with it. Then no matter whether i have the music, bass tab or its a simple easy song to remember and play i always write the song out for structure and notes on a blank piece of paper. That helps me remember the structure as i can visualise it in my head. 

Then its a case of just playing it until i remember it. I usually do that over 2 days doing 3-4 hrs per song but when pushed i will cram 2 songs a day. I do find spending long hrs on learning songs is difficult to take them in and prefer to spread it out maybe an hour at a time these days now that i have more time thru the day. I appreciate that most people are working during the day and have no option but cram things in.

Don't try and learn them all at once. Pick one and work on it.

All the very best.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

13 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

I'm not as phased by the idea as I was when I first thought about it

Yep, you can do this.

Not incredibly difficult arrangements to remember, some quite repetitive once you've learned the line.

If it were me I'd "learn" Gold dust woman, obviously the Chain's signature bit, the Rhiannon pattern and nail the stop in don't stop, to me the most musical thing bout the song. 

When I was in the house band at a local jam night we busked Don't Stop with no notice and everybody stopped at the right time, made the song. 

Good luck and do let us know

Les

I just joined another band, and it’s more sort of Motown and jazzy than I am used to, not the sort of music I have ever really listened to. 

So I made a playlist of the tracks they sent and listened to them on a loop when I was out walking, in the car etc just so I knew the songs.

then break them down. Some songs are barely roots and fifths, some are way more complicated but the most important thing is the structure, stops, starts, changes. As we have established on here, no one listens to the bass player anyway, so the only time anyone notices what you are playing is when you mess up. No one cares as long as you are playing notes in the right key unless it’s an iconic line.

but then I am not a note for note player, which turns out to be good with son of a preacher man!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

If you're going to choose 4 out of 6 songs to learn, make sure you choose "The Chain" as one of them.......there's this bit in the middle......

Truth be told I can already play this - I don't know a bass player who can't/doesn't :)

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

no one listens to the bass player anyway

haha - probably truer than many of us want to believe (although you're right about the 'iconic' parts though - they make or break the track :)

As well as band work, I play bass at a regular set of guitar-oriented jams. Drums, keys, bass and then up to 20 guitarists swapping in and out on different songs. They pick the songs beforehand so we can learn them. 

I get to learn a massive range of stuff - and some of the choices make me groan at first. However, once learned, it gives you a totally different appreciation for the song. 

This weekend coming they have picked “chasing cars” as one track. Lol, I thought - that will be a piece of p1ss.. but no. Yeah so it’s not technically complex at all, but the timing on the bass is so crucial it’s given me a whole new understanding of “in time” 🤣

I would say that learning as much stuff as possible really gives you a better understanding of how to learn - both efficiently and accurately

3 hours ago, lowdowner said:

All Fleetwood Mac:

Gold Dust  Woman 
Landslide
Don’t Stop 
Dreams
Rhiannon 
The Chain

I've spent a few hours going through them and I'm not as phased by the idea as I was when I first thought about it. Luckily, none of these are 'funkmiester masterpieces' in terms of bass complexity.

Also, I've spent a lifetime of listening to these tracks on and off so they're not that new to me in terms of structure but it's funny how you tend not to analyse and memorise the structure of songs when you're listening to them casually.

Must be a Fleetwood MaC tribute act at a guess.

Seems a lot of tracks from band in the set list for a covers band.

Edited by steantval

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

As well as band work, I play bass at a regular set of guitar-oriented jams. Drums, keys, bass and then up to 20 guitarists swapping in and out on different songs. They pick the songs beforehand so we can learn them. 

I get to learn a massive range of stuff - and some of the choices make me groan at first. However, once learned, it gives you a totally different appreciation for the song. 

This weekend coming they have picked “chasing cars” as one track. Lol, I thought - that will be a piece of p1ss.. but no. Yeah so it’s not technically complex at all, but the timing on the bass is so crucial it’s given me a whole new understanding of “in time” 🤣

I would say that learning as much stuff as possible really gives you a better understanding of how to learn - both efficiently and accurately

Yes, I used to gig Chasing Cars doing bass and lead vocals. The timing has to be spot on but once you're in the groove it does seem quite natural.

8 hours ago, lowdowner said:

All Fleetwood Mac:

Gold Dust  Woman 
Landslide
Don’t Stop 
Dreams
Rhiannon 
The Chain

There are excellent YouTube bass tutorials for all those songs. You should be able to nail all those songs if you really want to be in this band.

Blue

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:52, mrtcat said:

It depends on the band. If it's a busy function band with heaps of well paid work in the diary then you'd be best to give it the beans and learn everything as well as you possibly can. If it's a pub band that tends to rehearse as much as or more than it gigs then a more laid back approach is no problem as long as you know stuff well enough to make the songs swing.

I've got an audition next Fri for a band that is a step up from my current function band. I spent several hours yesterday and again today just getting the bass line to town called malice to really swing and keep time where the drums drop out. 

So Anyway, 'Give It The Beans' is a keeper.  

On 18/11/2018 at 13:22, steantval said:

Must be a Fleetwood MaC tribute act at a guess.

Seems a lot of tracks from band in the set list for a covers band.

Nothing particularly difficult there and as Blue says, there will be plenty of YouTube clips to help you if you need to learn them ina hurry. Write out lead sheets and you should be fine. 

• Like 1

I think that my approach is probably an amalgamation of various advices above, but I will include it here for completion anyway.

1. Get hold of the original versions - make sure that they're definitely the same structure and key that the rest of the band will be listening to.
  2. Go through these originals slowly, transcribing them onto a cheat sheet. Don't use tabs from the net, unless they are really complicated basslines and would take hours to transcribe. Prioritise the root notes and the "famous" riffs. Don't worry too much about getting every single passing not eperfect.
  3. Spend a day or two just playing along to the originals, with the aid of these cheat sheets.
  4. Meanwhile, spend some time listening to the originals when you don't have a bass in your hand - I tend to do this in the car. This will serve the dual purpose of (a) establishing the song structures in your mind, and (b) giving you an opportunity to hear places where you may have got the transcription slightly wrong (because when you're playing along, you might be drowning out the original bass line, right?)
  5. Then try to play the songs without the cheat sheets.

By the time you get to the audition, you'll have a good idea of which songs you are able to play without the aid of the cheat sheets (hopefully all of them) and which ones you can't. If you do need to use the cheat sheets on one or two, then this is not the end of the world, as long as you own up to it. If you don't get the gig, then you'll have done the best that you could have, and there's no point beating yourself up.

S.P.

• Like 1