Why become a member? ×

Band tryout advice needed

lowdowner

In a week's time I'm going for a tryout with a new band - it's been a while since I played bass in a band because I've been concentrating on drumming for the last couple of years so I'm looking for advice.

I've been given a shortlist of about 6 songs. They're all within my playing ability I believe but I don't think I'm going to memorise them accurately note-for-note between now and then because my learning speed is quite rusty and I've never played any of them before.

It strikes me that I have one of two choices: either learn all six songs just in terms of the overall structure of the song and the basic root/5th type overview and 'fill in' the rest on the day, or learn 3 or 4 songs (the more basic of them) as written and as close to the original as possible.

What would you guys do? 

I'd say, go for either - but be upfront about it and tell them why. If you hide anything it'll only one back and bite you later.

Playing your parts competently is not all that's required to be a successful band member. Turn up  time, have reliable gear and generally don't be a a**hole. It always surprises me how people don't get that.

Anyway, good luck! I hope it works for you.

• Like 2

Don't stress too much about it, that will only hinder your learning. Learn what you can in the time you have got, what you can't improvise! Many originals bands do just that live onstage.

I've found that listening to a track (whilst not playing along) is good for me, I actually listen to it and get a feel, rather than wonder where my fingers etc are going next. Takes some effort 'not' to pick the bass up though!

Good Luck.

• Like 4

If in any of them the bass is recognisable part of the basic melody (as per Silly Love Songs, for example), then you'll need it note for note. Otherwise, choice #1 will be fine. And listen to those 6 songs over and over and over again in the next week. If you can get them lodged firmly in your head, it'll help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Len_derby said:

I'd say, go for either - but be upfront about it and tell them why. If you hide anything it'll only one back and bite you later.

Playing your parts competently is not all that's required to be a successful band member. Turn up  time, have reliable gear and generally don't be a a**hole. It always surprises me how people don't get that.

Anyway, good luck! I hope it works for you.

Thanks. I've no problem being up front and honest. I've already told them that I've taken a break from bass so it may take a few weeks to get back in the groove.

I don't really have much ego so I don't worry about protecting it :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itsmedunc said:

Don't stress too much about it, that will only hinder your learning. Learn what you can in the time you have got, what you can't improvise! Many originals bands do just that live onstage.

I've found that listening to a track (whilst not playing along) is good for me, I actually listen to it and get a feel, rather than wonder where my fingers etc are going next. Takes some effort 'not' to pick the bass up though!

Good Luck.

AS it happens I've listened to these tracks many times before (and will do so again this week) because they're favourites of mine so that helps.

Just never played them funnily enough

It depends on the band. If it's a busy function band with heaps of well paid work in the diary then you'd be best to give it the beans and learn everything as well as you possibly can. If it's a pub band that tends to rehearse as much as or more than it gigs then a more laid back approach is no problem as long as you know stuff well enough to make the songs swing.

I've got an audition next Fri for a band that is a step up from my current function band. I spent several hours yesterday and again today just getting the bass line to town called malice to really swing and keep time where the drums drop out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lowdowner said:

In a week's time I'm going for a tryout with a new band - it's been a while since I played bass in a band because I've been concentrating on drumming for the last couple of years so I'm looking for advice.

I've been given a shortlist of about 6 songs. They're all within my playing ability I believe but I don't think I'm going to memorise them accurately note-for-note between now and then because my learning speed is quite rusty and I've never played any of them before.

It strikes me that I have one of two choices: either learn all six songs just in terms of the overall structure of the song and the basic root/5th type overview and 'fill in' the rest on the day, or learn 3 or 4 songs (the more basic of them) as written and as close to the original as possible.

What would you guys do? 

id put more effort in to make sure i do the best i can. I appreciate what you have said above but if you are that worried, make more of an effort.

When i dep i make sure i have the songs down to the best of may ability. No half measures, no excuses. Sure, you may (will) make mistakes on the night, but if its important to you then you will make sure even if you make mistakes you know the songs before hand.

i think you will be fine either way though.

There's definitely a knack to learning a song into memory quickly. I can't really do it, but I can read music, and all the situations I play in allow me to read music. I suspect my answer "I'd just read it too" isn't applicable here so my best advice would be just learn the outline/structure and do your best to fill in the gaps. Its up to you if you err on the side of caution or go a bit flamboyant with the filled-in gaps. I'd definitely look at all 6 though, rather than do some but not others.

The first step should be a definitive answer to this question.

"Why do I want to be in this band?"

If there's a good reason you want in, make a playlist of the 6 songs and spend hours practicing them until you own them.

If you don't know why you want to be in this band cancel the audition. There's better ways to spend your time.

Blue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

id put more effort in to make sure i do the best i can. I appreciate what you have said above but if you are that worried, make more of an effort.

When i dep i make sure i have the songs down to the best of may ability. No half measures, no excuses. Sure, you may (will) make mistakes on the night, but if its important to you then you will make sure even if you make mistakes you know the songs before hand.

i think you will be fine either way though.

wow - that's harsh (but probably fair). Now I feel like I'm definitely inadequate! 

I've been in similar situations, I've always put the necessary amount of work in, to be "on top" of the situation. I'd say on about 20% of those occasions I needed to rely on that work that I'd put in, but on 100% of the occasions I was glad I did - it just makes it more comfortable, you can relax and enjoy the event or occasion more etc.

25 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I think if you didn't know 2 of them you'd inevitably be caught with your trousers down.

It depends on the band and the opportunity. I've seen, and as others here everything from showing up to audition and the band didn't even know all 6 songs to auditioning and never getting to all 6.

Blue

11 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

wow - that's harsh (but probably fair). Now I feel like I'm definitely inadequate! 

Sorry, i didnt mean to come across as harsh, just that if it were me I would pull out all the stops to make sure i got the job. If that means up all night learning the songs so be it.

I realise not everyone would bother going this far, but i feel i owe it to myself and those that would be affected by it to make sure i do a good job.

my methods of learning is normally play along in the evenings but listen to the songs as much as possible at other times. traveling to and from work etc. For me having the songs in my head helps me learn to play them easier, as i dont have to try and remeber what comes next etc. 

Don't worry its cool, its your opinion etc. Maybe I'm more risk-adverse - what if one of the 2 songs you chose to not worry about, was the favourite song of the band leader etc? I can only say what I'd do personally - I'd be sure to roughly know all 6, if there's additional time left I'd look more and more at possibly some over others but I'd be sure to be able to play, in a reasonable way, all 6.

22 minutes ago, lowdowner said:

Your only inadequate if you don't know why you want to be in this band.

8 years ago I knew exactly why I wanted to be in my current and only band. I practiced hours on end until I owned the audition material.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, i didnt mean to come across as harsh, just that if it were me I would pull out all the stops to make sure i got the job. If that means up all night learning the songs so be it.

I realise not everyone would bother going this far, but i feel i owe it to myself and those that would be affected by it to make sure i do a good job.

my methods of learning is normally play along in the evenings but listen to the songs as much as possible at other times. traveling to and from work etc. For me having the songs in my head helps me learn to play them easier, as i dont have to try and remeber what comes next etc. 

it's ok, I understand what you're saying. I guess my immediate thought was a question.. if I want to hold down my job(s), fund healthcare for my partner, look after my family, does this mean that I can't join a band because I can't stay up all night to practice six songs or is there a possible compromise where I show some potential but aren't note perfect? 

Don't *most* people who play in amateur bands have compromises to make - otherwise why not be professional if you can spend all night for a week preparing for a rehearsal?

I admire the dedication of us who can afford to practice at the expense of everything else though.