Why become a member? Read more... ×
RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Moog Grandmother prices ...

Howdy! 

I saw the above on you tube a few months ago, and loved the look and sound of the demos / prentations etc.

i know that Moogs are generally expensive ( this being my last musical purchase for some time 😺) . They are often seemed to be investments ,and never really lose their resale value etc. I have had a mess around on their apps ,which are great but the thought of getting one of these has always been at the back of my mind. I looked at the Taurus  which is cheaper, but tbh I would rather plug and play at anytime, rather than fiddling around an my Mac . 

So, the going rate for us in the uk, Is £879.00  . I sent a question to gear 4 music if they could do it for me cheaper,,as I kept getting emails telling me the loyalty discounts I could get  as I purchased a few things from them over the last couple of months. The best they would offer ,is £859.00 . So, I thought I'd wait till Black Friday . I sent an email to Moog midweek, asking if they have any Black Friday deals for the grandmother and have not got a response . Fair enough .

so, yesterday I looked and found the prices dropped suddenly 😸👍. Well, I say dropped, but g4m are charging £899! 😾

i saw one price that I couldn't ignore £773.52 from Rub a dub . I spoke to them on the phone ,placed order and I have just received it 😸

great service , nice guys 😸👍👍

this morning I noticed g a k are selling it for £749 Tbh, I'm not too bothered , because I figured that the price I got from rub a dub wouldn't last 

so, that's my early birthday and xmas present . I have no idea how it'll work but it looks great . I'm a total beginner . No slinky though 😿

just a heads up . I know times are hard, but it seems a bargain . Now to plug it in ....

• Like 1

I've been looking about to see if there's any deals going on modular synth modules. Nothing great about, maybe £20 off some stuff. I was hoping somewhere would be doing a nice deal on a Moog DFAM.

But fortunately, for my credit card, there's nothing about.

The Moog Grandmother sounds quite nice, but I'm not into the looks.

Yeah , the design is a little marmite ..or tandy , but what attracted me to it was how it's not as complicated  as others . Still a lot to learn. Possibilities are endless . No presets, banks or patches . There are a few examples shown , which is a good starting  point for absolute beginners . 

I wouldn't go as far as saying it was Tandy 😂, it's just too colourful for me. 

But it's the sound that counts. Have you seen the sonicstate review on youtube?

Yeah,  I love that guy . Knows his stuff. That vid was the main reason I got it .

i looked at lots of his vids, plus others regarding Moog products . 

I was looking at the sub 37  which looks great , but too much going on.

almost got the minitaur , but it looked like something was missing . 

The mother has great possibilities , but li thought that this was the one to go for at the end of the day . 

Lots of you tube clips to keep me enthused ..😸

• Like 1

of course, you may find yourself falling into the modular synth black hole like I did.

Started with an Arturia MiniBrute, then a Moog Mother 32, then a Make Noise 0-Coast. Now I've nearly filled 3 19" racks with modules...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quatschmacher
      At the behest of @Al Krow I’m going to start a page which should hopefully serve as a helpful resource for understanding and using the FI and for sharing patches. For the moment, I’ll include an explanation of some of the features in the editor, which I wrote as a PM to @GisserD, I’ll add to this in due course. There is a new editor due out in January so I’ll amend once I’ve had chance to familiarise myself with its enhanced features.
      If anyone would like me to explain a particular feature then please comment and I’ll do my best to add it below as quickly as possible.
      I’ll also include a link to patches I’ve created and will add to this as I create new ones.
      Likewise, if you have useful tips or patches to share then please do!
      Please give me a “like” or comment if you’ve found this useful. It’ll encourage me to do more!
      Thanks.
      In the VCF/MODULATION section, “Freq Vintage” is the cutoff of the original Deep Impact filter (with its imperfect scaling). “Freq New” is the cutoff of the new, perfectly-scaled FI filter. You can only engage either one or the other. Switching has to be done by the Vintage one though. Set its slider to “off” and it will engage the New one; turn it up and it disables the new one.
      After reading the manual again, it appears that the number that “freq new” is set to corresponds to the MIDI note number of the same value. That is to say, each increase of 1 corresponds to a semitone. Note 36 (min) is C (65.4Hz), note 122 (max) is D (9397.27Hz).
      ”Freq 2nd” is the cutoff off a second (bandpass) filter running in parallel. Turning its slider up engages it.  You can then space the two filters to create dual-peak, vocal formant- type sounds. An increment increase of 1 provides a one-semitone offset from the main filter. Oddly, this second filter still reacts to envelopes and LFO even if you turn off the main filter with the dial in the top right of the screen. This can yield some interesting results.
       In the VCF/ENVELOPE section, “attack” sets how quickly the filter(s) open(s) from cutoff to maximum. “Decay” sets how quickly the filter(s) close(s) from maximum back to the cutoff point.
      Back to the VCF/MODULATION section, “AD” sets how much the VCF AD envelope will affect the filter cutoff - higher values will open the filter further. “Env. Follower” sets how much your plucking dynamics (bass’s volume envelope) will affect the filter cutoff - again higher values cause the filter to open further.
      You need to be judicious in balancing the “AD” and “Env. follower” sliders in the above section. If you want a regular, always-the-same-shape, keyboard-style envelope then only use the AD slider. Adding too much of the envelope follower can override the shape of the AD envelope you’ve chosen. A bass’s volume envelope has a reasonably quick rise to maximum and then a longish decay as the note dies out. If you’re trying to program a slow upward filter sweep on the AD, the envelope follower will swamp that. Likewise, if you’re trying to program a very snappy decay on the AD (like acid-type bass sounds), the long decay of the bass’s volume envelope will ruin that if you apply too much envelope follower.
      “Resonance” controls how much a portion of the signal is fed back into the filter. This boosts the frequencies around the selected cutoff point, thus creating a resonant peak.
      Turning the resonance to maximum on 24dB mode will cause the filter to self-oscillate, yielding a pure sine wave oscillator. When using a bass guitar, you’ll need to have “bass” turned up in the VCF INPUT section (it needs a trigger and pitch reference). It probably works better when plugging in a keyboard instead as you’ll probably be able to hear just the sine wave. It doesn’t seem to behave at all like it does on analogue synths - changing the cutoff didn’t really enable me to tune it very well. Weirdly it seems to be best in tune when the “freq. vintage” was set to 0. After reading the manual it looks like the new filter will behave correctly (see above under explanation of “freq new”). I’ll have another go and update this page accordingly.
      The “Slope” knob switches between a 2-pole (12dB per octave) slope and 4-pole (24dB per octave) slope. The latter cuts off the higher frequencies above the cutoff point more rapidly than the former.
      LFO can be used to control the filter, either on its own or in conjunction with the envelope(s). (LFO can also be used to modulate the oscillators’ pitch.) I like that it has a delay slider too so that the LFO fades in over time. I’ve used that on one of the patches I shared. The LFO can be controlled by MIDI CC #1 and so a foot pedal can be used to bring modulation in and out as desired.
      What is really cool is that the noise has its own AD envelope (next to the VCF AD envelope sliders). This means you can program a short burst of noise to create a percussive attack even when you’ve programmed a long decaying filter sweep. (Normally noise just goes through the same filter as the other sources so that if you program a long decaying filter sweep, you can hear the noise all the way through. On the FI, you can get the noise to just be present right at the moment of attack and quickly disappear, or conversely, have it silent at the start and then slowly fade in.)
      I’ve finally figured out how the harmoniser section works! It’s part of the distortion circuit. You need to turn up the “distortion” slider in the INPUT section and (at least one of) the voices in the MIXER section (next to HARMONIZER) in order to hear it.
      One oddity I’ve found with the FI is as follows: if you’ve edited and saved any of your patch parameters on the actual pedal and you subsequently load new patches into those slots, then the new patches will take on those tweaked values.
      If that’s not clear what I mean: on the pedal a parameter setting of 5 is the default, i.e. if all parameters are set to 5, the patch will sound exactly like it did when you created it in the editor. Say you make an edit to a patch on the pedal and set its resonance to 9 and save the change by clicking the edit knob; when you load a new patch into that slot, its resonance will be set to 9 also.
      I realised this quirk when my first patch sounded nothing like it should have sounded. Luckily, setting each parameter back to 5 sorts it out. You can do this for all patches at once from one of the power-on menu settings.
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C7ZYqsyXkyNuasuuwLrQlICboSsGfXMp

TB shared patches (including mine):
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2_tqOG3lexBb0dMYTluOTczZUE
    • By Quatschmacher
      I’m sure if you’re reading this you’re already aware of this great envelope-controlled filter. If not, check the video review below. A host of synthy goodness and “standard” wah is available from this.
      N.B., this is the earlier, 5-knob version.
      Can post same day.

• By ash
      Novation Bass Station in excellent condition with box, manual and original strap buttons. The synth is battery powered or used a 9v psu - not supplied. Sounds great and is good for lead sounds, bass and effects.
      A recent purchase but it’s making way for another Moog.
      Price includes UK postage. No trades sorry.  

• By 0175westwood29
      pretty sure moog dnt make this anymore so could be a mistake but im pretty desperate for funds this pedal has a big learning curve but is so rewarding when you know what your doing with it. 
      think i have the box, and postage in the uk is included in the price 

sold pending!