Why become a member? ×

Trying basses at Bass Direct

BassApprentice

Very quick question. 

I'll be down at Bass Direct in a few weeks, and obviously they have some very high end stuff - how happy are they for you to have a little noodle on things? 

Not many shops in the UK has the variety of stock they have so want to make the most of trying things to work out what basses suit me and what don't for future knowledge. 

Ta! 

They're only too pleased for you to try basses out.

All instruments are fitted with new strings and they're thoroughly wiped down after you've finished playing. It made me feel guilty for causing them work to do.

The problem I had was I hate the tinny sound from the new strings they use. So, they all sounded equally awful to my ears.  Each to their own.

I guess, what matters is the "feel" of the bass, not the sound.  But if that's so, why plug into an amp?

Edited by Grangur

At that's good! 

With the plugging into the amp thing - for me it would be how instinctive and easy it is to get a desired tone. For some having 5 knobs is perfect for the amount of control, for others it might be that passive, two knob control that's easy and 'natural' 

As you say, each to their own! 

Ask first and they should be happy for you to try the basses. They'll probably want to "supervise" and set up the amps for you.

As an older gent, I've noticed that I don't get hassled so much in shops when I pick up a bass. I didn't try any last time I was at BD, but didn't I see some had locks on the hangers?

I'll always say Hi first and ask if they mind me trying out the basses. I'll probably play a dozen basses but only plug in 1 or 2, or maybe none. I can tell if I'm interested without an amp.

Yeah Mark'll let you try any bass you fancy even if he thinks you probably won't buy. I've had a go on Ken Smiths and Pedullas and no way  had i any intention of buying one. The price tags are way too hefty for me.  Indeed three is a crowd in there but as you'll be given headphones it doesn't matter

• Like 1

On 17/11/2018 at 09:47, Grangur said:

I guess, what matters is the "feel" of the bass, not the sound.  But if that's so, why plug into an amp?

So you can hear what it feels like, of course!

I've only asked to play two basses at BD, and both are now hanging on the wall behind me, at home.

I drove down from Glasgow to try out some 5 string basses. I tried the ones i thought i would like and Mark offered the Dingwall NG2 as an option and it was far better than the ones i had in mind incl Sandberg, Spector and few others. I settled on the Dingwall I tried them thru a PJB headphone amp first and when i had narrowed the basses down to 2 he let me try them thru a Vanderkley rig. 

I found it to be one of the best bass or guitar shops i've visited. Pleasant, helpful and never pushy. All he offered were suggestions on different settings on the bass and his experience of what bass might suit a particular band sound.

I really can't fault Bass Direct. I've bought Bergantino cabs, Markbass rig, Jaydee and Dingwall basses plus various accessories over past few yrs. All first class experiences.

Listen to Marks advice and use it as you see fit. I found him knowledgeable and very helpful tho.

Dave

• Like 1

I recently went to BD to try out some Sandbergs (one of which came home with me) - they were more than happy for me to do so.  

I asked for some headphones, they set me up in the corner and left me to it.

After I finished I had a great chat with who I assume was the infamous Mark.

The only thing I'd add is that you should ring ahead imo, I've seen people on here slag them off after arriving out the blue to be stood around as other people were trying stuff out, which is fine but you can't expect a small shop demoing expensive stuff to customers that have effectively made an appointment to be snubbed when you walk in imo. 

They'll also confirm what you want is in stock and have it ready for you too, so either call ahead or be patient that's all I'm saying. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The only thing I'd add is that you should ring ahead imo, I've seen people on here slag them off after arriving out the blue to be stood around as other people were trying stuff out, which is fine but you can't expect a small shop demoing expensive stuff to customers that have effectively made an appointment to be snubbed when you walk in imo. 

They'll also confirm what you want is in stock and have it ready for you too, so either call ahead or be patient that's all I'm saying. 

Being left handed if I want to try a particular bass I pretty much make an appointment at the music shop so that I know it's in stock and I will get treated properly and not like an urchin blown indoors by the cold winds. Not been to BD yet but tried one of their basses at LBGS years back and had a very good dialogue with them by email, though I chickened out of the purchase. 

• Like 1

I bought my Dingwall NG2 from them. Had very good communication with them via email beforehand, just to check what they had in stock. Traded my MM Bongo in, and the whole thing was a pleasant transaction. Mark wasn’t there, but the two younger guys were both very friendly and professional. Set me up through a Genzler amp and cab, showed me the various controls on the bass and then left me to it, occasionally popping his head back around the door tomask if I was ok, and did I have any questions. I wouldn’t hesitate using them again, in fact have just ordered some Dingwall strings, but they only had one set in stock (I ordered two sets), had a very prompt email asking if I wanted to cancel the order, take the one set now and wait for the second, or wait and have both at the same time. Very professional in their approach to everything. 

• Like 1