Why become a member? ×

Fretless bass in metal

Graham

2 hours ago, razor5cl said:

Huh, I never knew that! Is there a source for this? I thought he played fretless right from the beginning.

I was in to Sadus back in '91 so one of the sources is my memory 😉

Ive just done some googling and found an interview discussing the recording of A Vision Of Misery to back that up though:

I was still using the Rickenbacker bass that was my identity sound, but we integrated the fretless in on some songs and working to make it sound really good in a good studio helped me to bring it out a year later to record Individual Thought Patterns. And even with previously mentioned Autopsy [Fiend For Blood EP] & a few songs on Visions; Individual Thought Patterns was the album that not only put me on the map, but is the iconic spawning of the first time anyone heard fretless bass in metal.

Also:

I know the fretless I built made it in the studio on Autopsy's 1991 Fiend For Blood. I'm trying to remember if I busted it out before that. I couldn't think of anyone else back then that used fretless in metal.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread as I've been checking out Cryptic Shift after they were announced for Damantion Festival this year.

If you like spacey-death metal with some very good, prominent fretless work, this is well worth checking out - I'm really looking forward to seeing them in November. Plus they're from Leeds, so it's always nice to support home grown talent

https://open.spotify.com/album/7cGu80ia5OvMQlxIqTLMA1?si=kcVwj6jwTi2kSQLopOJrUg&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Steve Woodcock said:

Another one from me, here I am playing on the new single from UK death metallers De Profundis, again with my fretless Ibanez Gary Willis signature bass:

Oooh, really like that.

I'm more of a traditional metal guy, but that's great, the reason I found this thread is I saw a mate's sons band yesterday they were ??death core???, anyway, they had a fretless bass player and it just didn't work for me, all very boomy and ill defined, but this is what it should be like, your playing in this track is very well defined and punchy. 
Do you think that the fretless makes a huge difference in the final mixed track as opposed to a fretted? Or have you always played a fretless in such bands so don't know/care??😆

• Like 1

On 26/02/2022 at 10:55, sykilz said:

Oooh, really like that.

I'm more of a traditional metal guy, but that's great, the reason I found this thread is I saw a mate's sons band yesterday they were ??death core???, anyway, they had a fretless bass player and it just didn't work for me, all very boomy and ill defined, but this is what it should be like, your playing in this track is very well defined and punchy. 
Do you think that the fretless makes a huge difference in the final mixed track as opposed to a fretted? Or have you always played a fretless in such bands so don't know/care??😆

Thanks @sykilz, I'm glad you liked it.

That's a good question: honestly no, I don't think it did make a huge difference - in fact when I submitted the session file the guys in the band didn't even realise it was fretless! 🙄 I'll take that as a compliment about my intonation I guess, haha 😅 I've been playing fretless for about 26 years now I think and have used it in similar settings throughout that time but ultimately my decision to use it on this particular session was because their previous bassist had established fretless as part of the band's sound on their previous four albums.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Woodcock said:

Thanks @sykilz, I'm glad you liked it.

That's a good question: honestly no, I don't think it did make a huge difference - in fact when I submitted the session file the guys in the band didn't even realise it was fretless! 🙄 I'll take that as a compliment about my intonation I guess, haha 😅 I've been playing fretless for about 26 years now I think and have used it in similar settings throughout that time but ultimately my decision to use it on this particular session was because their previous bassist had established fretless as part of the band's sound on their previous four albums.

Knowing it's a fretless on the track I can 'hear' that slightly different timbre, but in all honesty blindfolded there's no way I'd have guessed. And yes, your intonation is obviously spot on , and there's some nice brisk technical stuff in there. I love Ibanez basses in metal in general, but too many guys spend all their time down the far end of the neck, when playing parts in the higher registers give a lot more punch and focus to my ears. Nice job sir!!!!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Focus is fretless Kubicki with some Chapman Stick.

The Pestilence and initial Atheist sessions were a couple of years before Focus was recorded, around the same time Masvidal and Reinert were doing Human and Gobel was playing on Imperial Doom. Choy left to join Atheist full-time for Elements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 17/11/2018 at 12:12, Hellzero said:

I'm basically a fretless only player and have been for at least 2 decades a fretless only player, so I'm interested in fretless whatever style it is. And I'm no fretted bass player, I even can say that I'm not liking playing fretted instruments.

I listen to any kind of music as long as it's music, and metal is music.

It's not an odd position at all, but to me, the only fretless player in metal is Steve Di Giorgio who is almost unknown outside the metal nor fretless world. His playing is, to me, hallucinating, but burried in the mix, very strange for the guy who almost invented the death metal genre !?!

Playing fretless on a tune or two doesn't make you a fretless player as, most of the time, you are playing just what you played on a fretted bass on a fretless.

In your list, you can add Svante HENRYSON who is basically a fretless player, but played fretted bass because of the music he was in. He is also a terrific double bass player.

And what about Jack BRUCE who has been playing fretless metal bass even before the genre was ever named...

I am curious for your view, given your obvious strong opinion on fretless, as to whether you consider lined fretless to be true fretless or whether you are strictly non lined player?

5 hours ago, DTB said:

I am curious for your view, given your obvious strong opinion on fretless, as to whether you consider lined fretless to be true fretless or whether you are strictly non lined player?

I play whatever fretless, lined or unlined, and dots at the fretted position on fretless don't bother me.

There is no true fretless, there is fretless.

The only "issue" with lined fretless is that you're always tempted to look at your fingers and don't play with your ears, but your eyes, which won't help improve your intonation, especially in low light situation...