Why become a member? ×

Any Xotic owners on here?

louisthebass

Did a search and couldn't see a thread - this is mine. Picked it up from Bass Direct last Saturday...😊

Spec is:

Xotic XJ - 1. Swamp Ash body with an all Maple neck which has a nice satin finish to it. Weighs about 9lb, which is lighter than my Overwater J5 Deluxe. This bass can be run passive or active (Volume is a push - pull pot). The controls are Volume, Pickup Blend, Tone, Bass, Middle, Treble, and comes with a nice padded branded gig bag.

Action is low(ish) and as you'd expect from a bass with the woods used it sounds quite bright and snappy, even unplugged. Plugged in it does exactly what it says on the tin - all the typical Jazz bass tones are in there, and it's just really nice to play. Have used it in a couple of rehearsals with my bands this week, and the feedback has been very positive. Gets it's first run out at a gig tomorrow night 😊

46052539_1409752489161179_3705134854510215168_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/11/2018 at 19:30, louisthebass said:

Did a search and couldn't see a thread - this is mine. Picked it up from Bass Direct last Saturday...😊

Spec is:

Xotic XJ - 1. Swamp Ash body with an all Maple neck which has a nice satin finish to it. Weighs about 9lb, which is lighter than my Overwater J5 Deluxe. This bass can be run passive or active (Volume is a push - pull pot). The controls are Volume, Pickup Blend, Tone, Bass, Middle, Treble, and comes with a nice padded branded gig bag.

Action is low(ish) and as you'd expect from a bass with the woods used it sounds quite bright and snappy, even unplugged. Plugged in it does exactly what it says on the tin - all the typical Jazz bass tones are in there, and it's just really nice to play. Have used it in a couple of rehearsals with my bands this week, and the feedback has been very positive. Gets it's first run out at a gig tomorrow night 😊

46052539_1409752489161179_3705134854510215168_o.jpg

Hi,

Earlier in 2018 I tried a few basses at Bass Direct (see my post Xotic PRO v Sadowsky).  Might be argued an unfair comparison with a £1300 bass against a £2500 bass, however I thought the Xotic represented good value for money, greater range of tones. I was tempted to buy the Xotic PRO however didn’t at the time as was waiting to sell a Roscoe bass through BD.  Glad I didn’t as a few months later spotted a pre-owned XJ5 lightweight on BD’s website going for £1800 and snapped it up. Very pleased with it and later saw a review on Guitar Interactive using the exact same bass that I bought (serial no 2028) that was a pleasant surprise.  Also have an Xotic XP5 bought a few years ago, nice warm tones, comfortable neck. On both basses I have strung them with D’Addarios half wounds for a bluesier sort of sound and it also avoids that scratchy sound when move up the string!

I have had several Fenders over the years, but I agree the claim that Xotic makes some of the best super jazz basses is right, particularly if you’re lucky to pick up one second hand, great value for money if comparing against a new Fender Elite for example.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question for you , who know very well different models of Xotic, as a see from your post: is there a difference from lightweight to XJ-1T, do to the 2 missing switches of the middle frequencies? just the matter of little adjustements you can easily do with preamps knobs? 

and more: same difference from XJ-PRO and XJ-1T (apart from woods and maybe weight) ?

I thank you in advance: i've tried one , 100 km from where i live, but i can't find another one in Italy, and the only way is to buy on line, no chance to test different models.

Nice gigs to you all

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 01:39, GarethHD said:

Hi Paul

I only have the lightweight - you can adjust the mid frequency inside the back compartment.

other than that - I think the spec is clear on the xotic website

cheers

Thank you Gareth: it's   "The Bass"  for me

On 21/11/2018 at 20:19, peteb said:

I've been using an XJIT4 in Black Cherry as my main gigging bass for the past 4 years or so. 

Great bass - sounds and plays ace. 

Xotic = new rig.jpg

Hi, i'm crazy about Xotic !  i only ask you: is the 4strings exactly like the 5? i mean: neck, same but smaller? sound ? same?   i wonna get one, but i cnn not try it, so i'll have to buy on internet, and...i'm a bit scared.. Thnk you for your advice .

1 hour ago, Paul vezzo said:

Hi, i'm crazy about Xotic !  i only ask you: is the 4strings exactly like the 5? i mean: neck, same but smaller? sound ? same?   i wonna get one, but i cnn not try it, so i'll have to buy on internet, and...i'm a bit scared.. Thnk you for your advice .

I would say that the 5 string seems to be very much like the 4, but I can’t say with too much certainty as I haven’t really played the 5 string version for any length of time.

I’m afraid that I can’t give you any advice beyond that, but I would say that the 4 string is probably the best jazz bass I have played. From what I can gather, the XJ 1T5 string appears to be just as impressive.

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1