Why become a member? ×

Solo artists who outshone their original band

EliasMooseblaster

12 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I don’t think it was the songwriting credits he was referring to tho...

true. George always said that had it not been for Andy, not only would there have not been Wham!, but there would also never have been George Michael.
Even on the writing though, he co-wrote some of the really early stuff, and helped launch George as a solo artiste by co-writing Careless Whisper.

I raise you an Ian Hunter and give you Harry from One Direction...... Err i 'll get me coat.

Viz Geri Halliwell should I be sectioned for actually quite fancying her back in the day?  I've  more of a soft spot  for Mel C though. She's a good laugh and I find her very attractive.  Never that fussed on the other three !

Edited by Barking Spiders

On 16/11/2018 at 15:23, EliasMooseblaster said:

The "Excellent Joe Walsh" thread that began a few days ago got me thinking: I can take or leave the Eagles, and given the choice I'd rather put on some of Walsh's solo stuff. But is he a rare beast in this respect?

Usually, I feel like the offshoot solo album is a chance for members of a band to try something different, but it's never quite as good or exciting as the stuff they did with the band that made them famous in the first place. Often, they're 45-minute collections of absolute dross which reek either of self-indulgence or cashing in. But once in a while, you come across one which stands head and shoulders above the music they were making with their original band.

So who - for you - should have thumbed their nose at their original band years ago and just carried on making solo albums?

Surely all the good Joe Walsh material was written and recorded before he joined The Eagles?

• Like 1

On 18/11/2018 at 08:49, Paul S said:

Joe Walsh got a mention in the OP but his purple patch solo stuff was before he joined the Eagles.  That isn't knocking him - I think he is one of the good guys - just adjusting the time line.

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Surely all the good Joe Walsh material was written and recorded before he joined The Eagles?

Well, I've learnt something new! I always thought his solo stuff began after and ran alongside theirs, though I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the feller - I stand corrected.