Why become a member? ×

Solo artists who outshone their original band

EliasMooseblaster

The "Excellent Joe Walsh" thread that began a few days ago got me thinking: I can take or leave the Eagles, and given the choice I'd rather put on some of Walsh's solo stuff. But is he a rare beast in this respect?

Usually, I feel like the offshoot solo album is a chance for members of a band to try something different, but it's never quite as good or exciting as the stuff they did with the band that made them famous in the first place. Often, they're 45-minute collections of absolute dross which reek either of self-indulgence or cashing in. But once in a while, you come across one which stands head and shoulders above the music they were making with their original band.

So who - for you - should have thumbed their nose at their original band years ago and just carried on making solo albums?

2 hours ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

...So who - for you - should have thumbed their nose at their original band years ago and just carried on making solo albums?

Well, without going so far as to condone unwarranted 'nose-thumbing', Richard Thompson continued, and continues to continue, delivering high quality stuff since going solo from Fairport Convention, where he excelled. Worth producing stuff under his own name..? Absolutely.

I'd also mention the duo Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady, both extremely proficient and important artists as Hot Tuna since the end of Jefferson Airplane.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

Much as he’s most of it, I don’t think the Foos are completely a DG solo act :crazy:

Ah yes, I've led myself away from the OP. 

Although the first album (and best, all downhill for the next twenty years Davey Boy) was all young Master Grohl I seem to remember. 

1 minute ago, Maude said:

Ah yes, I've led myself away from the OP. 

Although the first album (and best, all downhill for the next twenty years Davey Boy) was all young Master Grohl I seem to remember. 

True - I’ll give you that ;)

But there’s some serious talent in the foos that isn’t DG as well!

• Like 1

Also sometimes works in reverse - some artists have left their band for greater things only to return some years later with their tails between their legs - e.g. Gary Barlow and the other Take That boys kind of fizzled out pretty quickly as solo artists but when they got back together as Take That they arguably had more success than they did originally. The same could probably be said of the Spice Girls - would Geri or Mel C sell out stadiums as solo artists? Probably not.

Edited by darkandrew