Why become a member? ×

What would happen if...

ianrendall

Now, before I go any further, I must explain that I have absolutely no intention of doing this whatsoever!

What would happen if you took 2 bass amps. Plug bass into amp 1, take speaker output from amp 1 and plug it into instrument input of amp 2, connect amp 2 to bass cab?

Just curious really. I would imagine smoke and fire would occur?

Edited by ianrendall

Yep, probably. Power amp outputs are a much bigger current than instrument outputs - hence the need for a proper speaker cable rather than a spare guitar lead. At the very least, I expect you'd knacker preamp 2 pretty quickly. Prior to damage/smoke/fire/screaming & crying, I can't imagine it would sound particularly nice either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

At the very least, I expect you'd knacker preamp 2 pretty quickly. Prior to damage/smoke/fire/screaming & crying, I can't imagine it would sound particularly nice either.

Death agony wailing & gnashing of teeths! 💀

• Haha 1

I predict the 2nd amp would just buzz loudly, being only distantly related to the bass guitar input; and that the 1st amp would PROBABLY be okay if it were only for a short period of time (I've seen valve amps suffer a loose connection to the speaker, the connection be fixed and then still work okay afterwards).