Why become a member? ×

Im sure its been asked to death. So any practice amp recommendations

Jakeyc

So im sure you're all bored to death of this, but im after a practice amp, around £200-£250, but dont tell the misses i spent that much. Im going to be playing 5 string heavier stuff. 

Ive seen a redsub head and harley benton cab that got me excited theres no need for a rig that big but im an extra mothafunker 

Or the orange crush 50. Second hand is cool if theres an older amp i could look out for

Thanks guys

Hey JakeyC,

I'm in a similar boat to you.....  I just bought a Markbass 802 and I'm loving it.

I thought about a barefaced one 10 with an Eden wtx 264 which would be warm and more old school......

Also, I hear a Roland Cube is a fine little amp.

Having tried a few, I'd say avoid the small 15-30w end of the market. Most sound naff IMHO. 

Roland are good. I'm using a Hartke A70 right now. Other recommendations above are good too.

Edit: should have read the OP properly 

Edited by Grangur

2 hours ago, Jakeyc said:

Oh cool  ill have to look at the cubes. I had one for guitar years ago

I've had 2 Roland Cubes; 100w and 30w. Both were good and, at home they sounded fine with a 5 string. Yet, as @dannybuoy says, you need to be sure about if you're ever going to have to keep up with a drummer, you need to make sure you have headroom. I would say a 100w Roland would be fine at upper volumes with the B string, but not you would need to check out if a 30w would be ok. I can't remember if I ever tried turning up the volume.

It's probably worth taking your bass along everytime, whatever you try. If they won't let you turn up even a bit, then probably best to walk away.

On 19/11/2018 at 17:42, Dan Dare said:

You may struggle to play "heavier stuff" on a 5 string through £200 odd worth of kit at any volume and with any quality of sound. Is it possible to save a bit more?

Well its 200 for just the amp ive got the bass and like i said im more than happy to go second hand

On 19/11/2018 at 18:44, dannybuoy said:

Two important questions to get out of the way. Is it just for home use or does it need to be loud enough to play with a drummer? Do you need it to have on board effects or overdrive?

Just home use, no drummer, needs to have an aux in and headphone socket. Nah im looking at multi fx units atm

If you’re looking at Multi FX, the Zoom B3n has very good models of the Darkglass B7K and Sansamp BDDI, both industry standards when it comes to metal bass tones. Can’t go wrong there!

On the amp front, it doesn’t matter a great deal if it’s just going to be for home use without a drummer, especially if you’re going to be getting a lot of tone shaping from external FX. Ashdown/Fender/TC/Orange/Ampeg/etc would all fit the bill. If you have any music shops nearby I’d get down there and see what floats your boat.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

If you’re looking at Multi FX, the Zoom B3n has very good models of the Darkglass B7K and Sansamp BDDI, both industry standards when it comes to metal bass tones. Can’t go wrong there!

On the amp front, it doesn’t matter a great deal if it’s just going to be for home use without a drummer, especially if you’re going to be getting a lot of tone shaping from external FX. Ashdown/Fender/TC/Orange/Ampeg/etc would all fit the bill. If you have any music shops nearby I’d get down there and see what floats your boat.

Awesome i was looking at the zoom b3n or boss gt6b. How is the zoom with bass?

And the ampeg ba110 v2 has caught my eye

Edited by Jakeyc