Why become a member? ×

Rack Mounting a MkIV Trace Head ?

Deedee

Calling all Trace anoraks!

I'm considering rack mounting my MkIV Trace AH250.  It's a beast of an amp, I love the sound and it's by far the quietest running amp I've ever owned.  However, the case it's mounted in is pretty hefty and while I know that the amp itself will still weigh a fair amount, mounting it in a rack case will reduce the weight considerably (as it did with my 250SMX).

My question is, has anybody here successfully rack mounted a MkIV head?  I've removed the tube holder from the front and had look inside and there is no metal chassis on the bottom inside the case but there are 3 bolts going through the top that I assume are anchoring things in place.  Would an upturned rack shelf be required on top?

Any assistance would be most helpful.

Edited by Deedee
Typo

From memory, the front preamp is a self contained shallow metal box, but the power amp and power transformer is not enclosed, just bolted to the back plate (one cable assembly links the two).   Could be done, but some sort of top/bottom plates could be necessary.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BassBod said:

From memory, the front preamp is a self contained shallow metal box, but the power amp and power transformer is not enclosed, just bolted to the back plate (one cable assembly links the two).   Could be done, but some sort of top/bottom plates could be necessary.  

Many thanks Bassbod. Sounds about right as everything is 'floating' above the floor of the case until you get to the back plate.