Why become a member? ×

Am i a Musician?

Mercury Rising

Just now, 4000 said:

I think our definition of commitment maybe differs. For me and many others, committing to my music is more important. For some pros, committing to playing - regardless of what that happens to be - is more important. Each to their own. Of course if my band suddenly became hugely popular, however unlikely that might be, then I’d be having my cake and eating it. 😉

Now that i agree with. I think the commitment thing is where we probably disagree altho i think its probably the same view just we see it from a different angle.

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Perhaps its just misunderstanding of each others comments but it did provide an interesting debate for a bit there including the Nile Rodgers thing :laugh1:

Yeah, Nile is definitely having his cake and eating it. In fact I suspect he’s having everyone else’s cake too.😁

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I think our definition of commitment maybe differs. For me and many others, committing to my music is more important. For some pros, committing to playing - regardless of what that happens to be - is more important. Each to their own. Of course if my band suddenly became hugely popular, however unlikely that might be, then I’d be having my cake and eating it. 😉

YEP think the way you've worded it this time is exactly what i was thinking too but just didn't word it well enough in my posts.

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

My wife would say the same about me but i'm slow with the abbreviations. Doesn't help that i don't have a smart phone.

Ah, phones. I have a mobile and I can just about text. A sentence takes me a week. I only use mine for the occasional text or, shock horror, making phone calls. 😂 Internet on phones? What’s that about? 😉

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

Yeah, Nile is definitely having his cake and eating it. In fact I suspect he’s having everyone else’s cake too.😁

Yep he seems to be doing even better this time around with his on stage performances. His bassist is simply outstanding and makes it look effortless.

Do you mind telling me what style of music you play. I'm now quite curious ? :lol:

Dave

Just now, 4000 said:

Ah, phones. I have a mobile and I can just about text. A sentence takes me a week. I only use mine for the occasional text or, shock horror, making phone calls. 😂 Internet on phones? What’s that about? 😉

Its an age thing. I'm 58 yrs young but smartphones just too much of a step forward for my maturing brain.

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Yep he seems to be doing even better this time around with his on stage performances. His bassist is simply outstanding and makes it look effortless.

Do you mind telling me what style of music you play. I'm now quite curious ? :lol:

Dave

Can of worms with both comments. 😂

All I can say is we’re acoustic (apart from me). 3 part harmony,  guitars, mandolin, clarinet, occasional trumpet/violin/melodica. Pretty eclectic. Influences from ABBA to Zeppelin, not about to make it any time soon. Let’s leave it at that. 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Can of worms with both comments. 😂

All I can say is we’re acoustic (apart from me). 3 part harmony,  guitars, mandolin, clarinet, occasional trumpet/violin/melodica. Pretty eclectic. Influences from ABBA to Zeppelin, not about to make it any time soon. Let’s leave it at that. 😉

I have a couple mates who were in a good going Zep tribute band but decided the singer and guitarist would go acoustic but they brought in 2 cello players and a female violin player who could also sing backing vocals. I'm no Zep fan by any means but it was exceptionally entertaining enough so i've seen them perform 3 times now at major venues in our area circa 200-300 seaters.

So you never know when that big hand will come down and say ITS YOUR TURN TO BE FAMOUS GUYS.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

On 23/11/2018 at 10:49, Nicko said:

I don't get this Pro/Semi Pro/Amateur musician distinction.  How you earn your income has nothing to do with your muscicianship.  I wouldn't normally call a record producer a musician, but Nile Rodgers doesn't become a lesser musician when he's producing records does he?

Totally agree the commercial side has no bearing.

Producers most definitely musicians in every sense of the word though..   

Edited by Drax