Why become a member? ×

Demise of Scuzz TV

visog

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Who actually watches music channels?

When I first heard about MTV I thought it was a fantastic idea and couldn't wait to get it myself. When I finally did through cable in the late 90s the whole experience was completely underwhelming.

Totally agree, I reckon we could have a couple of really great music channels rather than 30 odd channels of complete poop, I find the music stuff on Sky Arts and BBC4 far better than anything on the actual music channels.

It was good back when it was first on, playing 'proper' metal while Kerrang! played constant bad pop-punk on a loop. A whole channel playing what we used to only get three hours of on a Sunday night on Headbangers' Ball. 

They ended up basically becoming a carbon copy of Kerrang! in the end though, playing all the same drivel. And there's no need for two channels of that.

No great loss. You want to watch metal videos? You have YouTube. 

• Like 2

IMO opinion it went the same way as Kerrang TV. Crap bands being promoted by record companies on a loop. There are some great metal bands out there who simply get ignored and more and more I'm seeing mediocre and downright terrible bands getting all the limelight. I think Hardcore, grindcore and punk (and I don't mean pop punk either) get virtually ignored which could have made the channel a lot more interesting. Trouble is, nobody wants to take risks and it's come back and bitten them in the aris. Good riddance. I'd rather not watch crap bands on TV than that crap.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

10 minutes ago, bonzodog said:

Far too many adverts on music channels too. You're lucky to get three songs between breaks.

Mind you I've notice you tubes adverts are getting longer and more frequent too

Indeed! Those pesky time-constrained ads have gone to 6 secs. It'll be ten before long... #modernlifeisrubbish

Hasn't rock been declining since the late 90s?

Watched a little bit of Scuzz back in the day, can't say I recall it being anything other than a slightly edgier version of Kerrang. Which is always doomed to fail in an expensive enterprise such as a TV channel as more niche interests aren't going to draw in the viewing figures required. I knew a lad back in the day who wrote Scuzz a really rude email about them not airing death metal bands in the primetime slots any more and he couldn't understand that not as many people will want to see Glen Benton as those who want to look at Paramore.