Why become a member? ×

Connecting active cabs through LED lights

bonzodog

As anyonee who uses LED par cans know there is an IEC input as well as an output. This is designed to link up several par cans and only need one power source.

To cut down on stage space I want to move my par cans off the tripods and connect 2 each on a mini bar to the tops of each of our speakers. I see a lot of bands doing this and its a great idea. I have wondered if it was possible to connect the power out of the cab to the LED IEC input thus having one plug powering the lights and cab together. This would limit the amount of plugs/extensions we would need.

I appreciate this would mean the lights would have to stay on all the time but this would only be for small gigs where we can't get the light stands in.

I would imagine it could potentiallly damage the lights but wondered if anyone else did this.

I doubt it will cause any issues. We run our whole band from one socket. The only issue might be the fuse, but LED lights hardly draw any power. 

I was thinking of doing something similar myself. I carry some quick release clamps and often stick a couple of lights on the PA cabs. It would be handy to have a board to fit on top with a mini T bar. I'd probably fix a 4-way extension on the board with a short trailing IEC socket and a strain relief clamp