Why become a member? ×

Small lightweight combo?

mikel

What do you mean by 'for gigs'? I play in a loud heavy rock band and a not-so-loud indie/poprock band and the BG-208 was within a rounding error of being totally silent on those gigs. A DI box would have been louder. I never tried it with an extension cab but I'd be worried that the little 8" speakers would be crying out for mercy long before any extension cab would be even idling. Regardless, a lot of my gigs are entirely through the PA so I was able to use the great DI output and technically I did gig the amp a lot, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

If there's a proper drummer on your stage and you need stage volume then I don't think you can go much smaller than the 1x12" combos from GK, they're brilliant. Add another 1x12" or a 2x12" when necessary.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack said:

What do you mean by 'for gigs'? I play in a loud heavy rock band and a not-so-loud indie/poprock band and the BG-208 was within a rounding error of being totally silent on those gigs. A DI box would have been louder. I never tried it with an extension cab but I'd be worried that the little 8" speakers would be crying out for mercy long before any extension cab would be even idling. Regardless, a lot of my gigs are entirely through the PA so I was able to use the great DI output and technically I did gig the amp a lot, but it's not really the right tool for the job.

If there's a proper drummer on your stage and you need stage volume then I don't think you can go much smaller than the 1x12" combos from GK, they're brilliant. Add another 1x12" or a 2x12" when necessary.

I mean its 250 watts, and with a 2 x 10 cab of the right ohms it will produce that figure. On its own, fine for home practice and rehearsals. I dont play in a loud rock band I play in a 5 piece funk band who play at a reasonable volume. I will also look at the GK 1 x 12 thanks.

Try to find an used Genz-Benz 3-0 8" or 10". I own one (and a big expensive amp too, 1512 Schroeder, db359, AG700...)  and it's really a magic piece of gear, sounds very nice and  a breeze to carry.

Apart from that, various options, but as far as many little heads fits in a gigbag pocket you are not bound to combos.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

On its own, fine for home practice and rehearsals.

Home practice? Definitely. Rehearsals? Doubt it.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

I play in a 5 piece funk band who play at a reasonable volume.

Then I think you will find the total volume of the amp lacking ime.

I went with the BG250-208 because of the lightweight, small footprint, built in tuner, spectracomp & ext spkr out. Great little amp and loud with an extension speaker.

I then acquired a BF One10 and paired that with a BH250. That gives me 3 rigs - BG250 alone, BG250 + One10 or BH250 + One10.

For my needs they fit the bill perfectly so to answer your question the BG250 is a great little practice amp, the spectracomp gives the sound a bit more body at just 9 o'clock and an 8 ohm ext spkr will increase the loudness and bottom end. To my mind good value for money.