Why become a member? ×

Greta Van Fleet - Birmingham O2

The59Sound

That first track reminded me of The Darkness circa Permission To Land. That 70's rock pastiche begins to grate very quickly though... almost before the first song ends. I liked the chunky guitar riff though.. very Joe Walsh 'Funk 49'. A bit of fun I feel and good luck to 'em. I won't be buying a patch to sew onto the back of my imaginary denim jacket.

Edited by Shambo

I like them and i would have bought that back in 70's. Album track Age of Man above is pretty impressive to me for a first album.

Some of the comments about being done before surprise me as most new bands have similarities or sound like someone before them. :biggrin:

Its simply down to personal taste in music that makes people buy it. Rush received the same kind of comments with their 1st album reviews. Look where they ended up.

This song just came to mind :laugh1: :-   

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Billy's mistake was he tried to make an electronic album after Melancholy, arguably their heaviest album - d'oh!

Alex's mistake is that he's gone so far up his bottom, he now thinks he's in the 50s... Crying Lightning seems a long time ago. 

Edited by The59Sound

I did all my rock listening in the late 60s/early 70s and after reading the hyperbole soo wanted to like this bunch.  But I don't.  They simply aren't very good.  Style over substance.  They must have spent weeks in front of the mirror, trying to get the pose and clothes right but they don't have the spark or energy.  The tunes are lack-lustre, the playing less than mediocre.  Yes he sounds a bit like Plant but, to me he sounds more like 'Little Eva' - maybe they should consider a cover of 'The Locomotion'.  Singer has a few scripted poses but otherwise has the presence of a shop dummy.  

Before heaping praise on these poorly manufactured imposters folks should watch footage of any of the rock greats from the late 60s early 70s - Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and there is just no comparison - they were even younger than this bunch when they started but they could PLAY - with energy and excitement.  That ain't rose tinted glasses, it is having ears and a soul.

Seems to me the fuss made about this lot has less to do with what they are like as a band but more about the state of modern rock music and the dearth of talent. 'In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king'.

[/rant]

IMO etc, obvs. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

I did all my rock listening in the late 60s/early 70s and after reading the hyperbole soo wanted to like this bunch.  But I don't.  They simply aren't very good.  Style over substance.  They must have spent weeks in front of the mirror, trying to get the pose and clothes right but they don't have the spark or energy.  The tunes are lack-lustre, the playing less than mediocre.  Yes he sounds a bit like Plant but, to me he sounds more like 'Little Eva' - maybe they should consider a cover of 'The Locomotion'.  Singer has a few scripted poses but otherwise has the presence of a shop dummy.  

Before heaping praise on these poorly manufactured imposters folks should watch footage of any of the rock greats from the late 60s early 70s - Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and there is just no comparison - they were even younger than this bunch when they started but they could PLAY - with energy and excitement.  That ain't rose tinted glasses, it is having ears and a soul.

Seems to me the fuss made about this lot has less to do with what they are like as a band but more about the state of modern rock music and the dearth of talent. 'In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king'.

[/rant]

IMO etc, obvs. :) 

Very well said I have been lucky enough to see most of the great 70s Rock Bands and these just don't come close

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

There’s not many decent new bands in this genre around and the old rockers are mostly out to pasture these days, so I’ll take what I can get!

Check out Ape Machine too.

Same here. Also check out "Unloaded"-Kirk Swan (uses a 12 string a lot), The Sunshine Boys -"Blue Music" (female bass player and drummer,plus guy on a cheerful-sounding gtr with happy words ), Hop Along "Bark Your Head Off Dog "- (singer has a WIDE range and the melodies have some big jumps ) . Guided By Voices was the best live show I saw this year. Here are some photos from the show at Saturn , Birmingham, Alabama. The Precision/SVT combo did justice to rock music.

DSCN2868.JPG

DSCN2878.JPG

DSCN2875.JPG

16 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

That's fine if you're happy only listening to albums that currently exist and aren't interested in hearing something new. Have any of those tribute bands put out an album's worth of original material?

No, however, I don't veiw Fleets material as new. To me they're a tribute band.

There is nothing new about Fleet to me.

Blue

The online videos don't do them much justice. They are a good young band, but they are a bit over hyped due to the Elton John connection. First time I saw them in Shepherds Bush it cost me £5, the second time £15 and well worth it. Of course they are never going to be as important as LZ, but compared to most of us middle aged cover band rockers they are worthwhile cutting some slack.

52 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

No, however, I don't veiw Fleets material as new. To me they're a tribute band.

There is nothing new about Fleet to me.

Blue

There’s a big difference, a tribute band don’t write their own songs. Although one could argue neither did Led Zeppelin!

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Of course they are never going to be as important as LZ, but compared to most of us middle aged cover band rockers they are worthwhile cutting some slack.

I'll give them a bit of slack for being young guys that have a roots appreciation for a dieing art form.

Blue

• Like 1

Keep hearing about these & just watched a couple of minutes the video posted at the top of the thread. My first exposure to them.

Pathetic. Led Zep copying by numbers, the singer's beyond awful and has all the charisma of an upside-down mop with some plastic teeth stuck on.

Does make me think though - it must be pretty awful being that age & wanting to play rock. A generation seemingly incapable of bringing anything whatsoever of their own to the genre, re-hashing and imitating ancient music and styles that their parents would likely have found embarassingly dated.

If the likes of this is all that's keeping rock alive - then switch off the life support, ffs. Just wretched.

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 1

By contrast I saw Rival Sons a couple of years back supporting Black Sabbath at O2 Arena and really enjoyed them.  The Led Zep 'likeness' was there but that was all it was - the band played decent songs with power, skill and energy.  Unlike Black Sabbath who, for me, had played a tour too long.  I take everything I see on merit, not past performances.

I feel that is rock is truly alive and well. Times have changed - rock isn't a mainstream thing that gets top 40 hits. That hasn't happened for a long time now. Plenty of original rock bands still out there, just don't expect to see them in the charts... it's why all these muppets keep mouthing off that rock is dead. It was dead in the 80s, 90s and 00s as well according to them.

• Like 2