Why become a member? ×

I'm Interested, Not For Me

Bluewine

19 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Worthwhile opportunities are rarely publically advertised even at the local level in my neck of the woods.

Same here. The nearest Craigslist is for Portland,  which is an hour or more from me and not somewhere I've ever gigged much.

I should clarify that I have nothing against rock, I just have much higher potential value to people in other genres, and rock gigs are pretty much the only ones that start and end late out here these days. I very rarely play past 10PM or so any more.

33 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

Same here. The nearest Craigslist is for Portland,  which is an hour or more from me and not somewhere I've ever gigged much.

I should clarify that I have nothing against rock, I just have much higher potential value to people in other genres, and rock gigs are pretty much the only ones that start and end late out here these days. I very rarely play past 10PM or so any more.

I'm still getting home at 2AM & 3 AM. It goes with the territory.

Blue

Fun to think about. For me, I’ve got a day job  don’t need the money (though gig cash is always a nice thought) so it has to be musically and socially appealing to me. Those will probably be the key deciders... I’d definitely be auditioning them if invited to an audition. There are start-ups and start-ups (every established band was a start-up at one point)  so that’s not a killer but would be part of the appraisal.  Here are my thoughts on how they sit for me...

1. 70'S HARD ROCK/EARLY METAL COVER BAND SEEKS BASS

If I had been sitting at home thinking “Oh I never get to play any Rainbow, Uriah Heap, Whitesnake, Nazareth and pre-Bruce Iron Maiden, sob sob sob!” I might shoot them an email with lots of questions. I haven’t so I wouldn’t.

2. BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

Commuting from London to Milwaukee for gigs might be a drag... but I’ve played in covers, corporate and weddings bands before and really enjoyed it. Yes, I am the person who actually likes playing Mustang Sally. So this one quite appeals. The “no drink” thing isn’t an issue for me. It just says “We will be looking for gigs where we will be offering a professional service (at a premium price) so the band will act with complete professionalism.” In my old band my average booze intake was usually, at most, a single bottle of Budvar at the start of the night and water or soft drinks from then on. Our old BL always negotiated free soft drinks for the band as part of our “rider”. The venue always thought they were getting one over on the band. We just thought “free J2Os and Diet Coke all evening...result!”

3. BASSIS NEEDED FOR ORIGINAL BAND

If I was a huge fan of the Cure, the Stranglers and Fields of the Nephelim maybe... I’m not. I’m so very not.

4. SINGING BASSIST FOR POWER TRIO

I’m much more of a BV singer but this sounds like a bit of fun. It would certainly would be an interesting challenge to push the edges of my comfort zone a bit. I might give it a go depending on what the other two guys were like to play and hang with.

But for all these bands there many many questions to be satisfactorily answered before I’d consider an audition.

Edited by TrevorR
Autocorrect shenanigans

I think overall for any opportunity you have to ask questions. What's outlined in an ad isn't always the truth.

I'm sure some of you have seen ads for the " established band" with gigs on the books. And it turns out to be 2 guys trying to reform or salvage what used to be an established band with gigs.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

1. 70'S HARD ROCK/EARLY METAL COVER BAND SEEKS BASS

Being as I am currently jonesing for early 70's obscure hard rock with song titles like 'Woman Tamer' or 'Iron Gates of Hell' I'd look at this as a side project which I could twist to my nefarious ends. Doubtful if there's any money in it either way.

2. BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

Annoyingly peppy ad yet strangely authoritarian at the same time. Probably a bunch of hand wringing snowflakes who want to be able to tell their friends they're in a band then they all go off and have quinoa enemas together.

3. BASSIST NEEDED FOR ORIGINAL BAND

They shouldn't have a name unless they're already gigging. If they're already gigging it's a useless name. Influences: goth, punk, metal, grunge and other? Recipe for mission creep, there.

Anyway there's no money in goth punk metal grunge originals in Milwaukee. Or probably anywhere else on the planet apart from maybe Saudi Arabia where there's a big market for that stuff, no, really, there is, why would I be lying, just to get some goth punk metal grunge guys locked up by the Saudi religious police and beaten with canes?

4. SINGING BASSIST FOR POWER TRIO

"Blah blah blah good songs blah blah".  'Good' is a matter of taste which means that everyone will be stood around saying 'But me and Dawson think it's a good song and we think you're being toadally unreasonable saying it's a 5hit song and we should drop it, particularly as we're still playing that Bob Seger song Katmandu that you think is good but me and Dawson think is 5hit'.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3