Why become a member? ×

I'm Interested, Not For Me

Bluewine

We haven't done this fun exercise in a while.

Take a look at the ads as if you were actually looking. Let us know why or why you wouldn't be interested.

If you could, share how long you've been playing and a little about your band experience.

1. 70'S HARD ROCK/EARLY METAL COVER BAND SEEKS BASS

Practice space in Burlington 
Start-up project 
contact via email for more info

2. BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

New up and coming band in waukesha area is seeking a fun and serious Bass player. Professional attitude and gear is a must. Vocal abilities a plus. We play 70’s-Today Rock, Pop, and a lot of dance music to keep the party goin! That’s our vibe! If you are serious about music and love to perform on the areas Top stages we would like to hear from you. Total professionalism!! no drugs or drinking allowed.

3. BASSIS NEEDED FOR ORIGINAL BAND

Creepy Little Things, a Milwaukee area band mixing goth, punk, metal, grunge, and other influences, is looking for a versatile and melodic bassist. 

4. SINGING BASSIST FOR POWER TRIO

Share lead vocal and do harmonies. Danceable fast rock 60' 70's good songs that work yesterday and today. Lets rehearse and gig.

FB_IMG_1536650738008.jpg

• Like 1

I'll start.

I don't think any of the opportunities would be worth any further inquiry.

I've been playing for 50 plus years and being in a band is a crucial source of income.

Band #1 is a start up. I can't afford the time to invest in a start up at this point in my life.

Band#2, I'm thinking " Up and Coming" means start up.

Band #3, This is an originals band. As I am in this business for income this opportunity would not get further inquiry from me. There's no money for original unsigned bands in Milwaukee.

Band #4, I would call for further information, however I don't meet their lead vocals requirement.

Respectfully

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

1) maybe, worth a phone call 

2) might have been interested but not being told if I can drink or not - doesn't sound very rock n'roll

3) I'm way too old for that, but good luck to them

4) sounds awful and I doubt my singing would be up to it anyway

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Although I generally don’t combine alcohol and playing, I don’t like to be told I can’t, so #2 can do one (I would make an exception for a cruise gig).

Yeah, agreed I don't drink or take any type of recreational drugs, however I don't like being told what I can do or not do.

I do remember auditioning a drummer once and we made an offer to him. He declined and said he was a recovering alcoholic and playing in bars might be a problem.

Blue

• Haha 1

I can sing, harmonize and front.

(I am very lucky with this and it has taken me years to be totally comfortable with my singing)

Some of the best bands are like this.

My guitar player in my Police tribute also fronts a Jam tribute. When we play together as a pub band it is so easy. No egos, sharing lead vocals and excellent harmonies. I'd love to play more but we live too far apart to make an easy pub band

Edited by police squad

1. 70'S HARD ROCK/EARLY METAL COVER BAND SEEKS BASS

First few bars of Freebird or Alright Now I'm putting the bass back in the case.

2. BAND SEEKING BASS PLAYER

Waukesha is a dump. Off to no. 3 to find solace in what made Milwaukee famous.

3. BASSIS NEEDED FOR ORIGINAL BAND

I'd probably give it a go but I'm sure they don't want their dad in the band. If they were 'mature' like myself I might even try playing melodically.

4. SINGING BASSIST FOR POWER TRIO

Singing....Doesn't really appeal either.

Edited by Low End Bee
Speeling

I've only been playing bass for 35 years, but I wouldn't go for any...

Firstly, I don't want to do covers, unless it's in a Spinal Tap tribute band...

Secondly, I don't want to play in a gothpunkgrunge band - I've done 2 of the 3 before and want to be funky and crazed now, as opposed to just crazed.

And thirdly, I don't sing.

Based on the genres I wouldn't bother with any of them. 

1. in my experience start-ups quickly turn into dead ends. No one generally has much idea of where they're going so tend to resort to 12 bar jams at the end of the first practice and we all resolve never to see eachother again

2. they sound like a load of fun! ... 'serious' , 'total professionalism', 'no...allowed' . It's just music FFS. Anyone who posts this type of ad really needs to lighten up. OK i don't hold with drugs but I do like my booze and don't like being told what I can or cant do

3.  shoite name . That's enough to put me off

4. power trio. the very term makes me shudder

The "no booze" thing would be a bonus for me. One of the reasons I don't gig any more is the hours spent in rehearsals being wasted when one of the band members fluffs up a gig by drinking too much. I've heard the "drink doesn't affect my playing" too many times.

Personally the total professionalism thing does it for me... if they mean it.

• Like 1

I'm a man in my middle years, been playing in bands at different levels on and off since I was a teenager, mainly originals, but have played in a couple of covers bands over the last decade or so and it turns out they can be great fun, albeit not my first choice.  Quite varied tastes and have often found myself in bands that are playing stuff that sits within the outer reaches of the venn diagram of what I like, if not being what I'd ideally like to be doing.  Not doing it for the money so don't need to be getting paying gigs every weeknight and would be far more interested in something that appeals to me musically.  However, I'm not really interested in a band that is going to spend the next six/nine/twelve months rehearsing in the hope that a gig will magically appear, ideally I'm after something with a strong BL who's going to take care of that side of things.

1.  Not entirely my sort of thing, but not a million miles away and if I had nothing better on, I might be up for it.  Probably if I'd been looking for a while and hadn't found anything that I like the sound of better than this.  I'd much rather be in from the start for any band so it being a new project wouldn't phase me at all.  Possibly worth dropping them an e-mail for more details - suggested setlist, experience of the band members, and most importantly where they intend the band to go: jamming once a week for fun or playing every night for cash? Not a brilliant ad - quite vague - but probably enough detail to get the right people replying

2.  No interest at all.  More covers, but they don't sound like my sort of thing at all.  Also, they use the word "party".  The no drugs and booze thing - I can see where they're coming from, possibly from a bad previous experience, or possibly they just don't want to take the chance or want to be known as a professional, reliable outfit.  Personally I love a drink, but only when it's appropriate, so this wouldn't put me off in isolation if all the other boxes were ticked (but they're not).  Good ad in that  I can tell that I'm not at all interested in being in this band

3.  Probably the one that appeals to me the most: originals and loud guitar music, and a wide range within that rather than a strict definition of what they do and everything they've mentioned appears in my venn diagram somewhere (though goth would not be first on my list)  They lose points for not being able to spell "bassist".  Not entirely sure that it's the band for me, but I might ask them for a demo and a bit more info.  Also, I can google the band name and see what their profile is like.  Good ad - lots to go on around the music side, which is what I tend to look for over the business side

4.  Maybe.  My singing ability is good BVs rather than great lead, but I do love playing in a power trio.  Better ad than #1 - expectations and intentions are much clearer

• Like 1

Of the four, I'd get in contact with #3...maybe #2 and have a chat with them to see what they were after. Much rather do original music than covers, so #3 is the most interesting of those available.

#1 is out...early metal (what's that ? Bronze Age ?) isn't my cup of tea at all.

#4 is a non-starter as my harmonising isn't any good.

Each to their own though...everybody wants different things from bands.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We haven't done this fun exercise in a while.

Take a look at the ads as if you were actually looking. Let us know why or why you wouldn't be interested.

If you could, share how long you've been playing and a little about your band experience.

I've been playing  for just under 50 years, and have no interest in gigging in any rock band at this point. But in general I've always been recruited into every working band I ever played in. The only "start up" was my very first band, with my brother and my best friend. If a band needs to advertise for a bass player I'm not interested, plain and simple.

3 hours ago, Passinwind said:

I've been playing  for just under 50 years, and have no interest in gigging in any rock band at this point. But in general I've always been recruited into every working band I ever played in. The only "start up" was my very first band, with my brother and my best friend. If a band needs to advertise for a bass player I'm not interested, plain and simple.

Worthwhile opportunities are rareley publically advertised even at the local level in my neck of the woods.

Blue

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Based on the genres I wouldn't bother with any of them. 

1. in my experience start-ups quickly turn into dead ends. No one generally has much idea of where they're going so tend to resort to 12 bar jams at the end of the first practice and we all resolve never to see eachother again

Couldn't agree more. This would be 99% of publically advertised start ups in my neck of the woods.

Blue

The 4 ads are typical for the type of opportunities open to the public in my area. 

It's why I'm prepared to drop out of the scene if and when my band folds.

There aren't any bands in my area that have the interest or the " know how" to bulid a local working enterprise.Not that I would hear about.

Blue

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

I play for fun.  The mention of 60s and 70s rock on  1, 2 or 4  would put me off and and suspect I'm too old for 3.  Its probbaly why I've not been in a band for a while.

I always have fun but I don't play for fun.

60s and 70s rock is vast and would cover a lot of different types of rock. Early 60s could be a lot different than mid or late 60s. Same for the 70s.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine