Why become a member? ×

Who's just been on the telly then?

Oopsdabassist

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, ezbass said:

My silhouette was on the TV back the '80s. I was in a section of the audience behind Mike Aspel on some show he anchored. Embarrassingly, I had a perm back then, so I was really obvious.

Was it Strange But True? I used to love that show.

edit: I'm guessing not, don't think it had an audience...

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Was it Strange But True? I used to love that show.

edit: I'm guessing not, don't think it had an audience...

No, it was some sort of Friday evening chat show IIRC.

Years ago, we were asked to play at a children in need night in a local pub. It was to be televised. There were about five bands that were going to play. Turned out the only bit that would be televised was us playing with an accordion player and there were dancers going to “break the record for the longest strip the willow”. All the other band members were jealous and decided to mime but all stood at the front. The only ones actually playing, were hidden at the back! 

When the two minute clip finished, the director would shout cut and we would spend the next half hour rehearsing the next two minute segment. Who would say what etc. The dancers would be standing bemused and getting more and more cheesed off, as they wanted a proper night. It’s was all so false and crappy. Gradually all the people left and the evening turned into a failure. It made me realise tv is so fake! 

I played live on telly for Telethon 90, with the Warwick JD Thumb that I still own. It was probably about 4:30 in the morning by the time we got to play - it was supposed to be soon after midnight. The other bands that had turned up had all buggered off by then. There was also a band composed of prisoners from some gaol - I think it was called Inside Out - which, we later heard, didn't return in its entirety to the gaol, as a couple of members decided to pursue solo careers and had it away on their toes.