Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Duality

danny-79

Sounds great, but let down by the fact there is no gain control, so you're stuck with the pre-set gain level.  I preferred the sound of it with the volume rolled down some on my bass, it would have been nice to be able to achieve the same effect via the pedal controls.

Never used it in anger at high volume, but I don't recall it being one of those fuzzes that puts out serious heft in the low end (like a EHX Russian Big Muff for example).

Ok thank you for reply. So you would recommend the EHX over it ? 

Drive wise I use a Tech21 VTbass with a Darkglass B3k going into it. Recently dug out my old Boss overdrive for fuzz but it kills the low end so I’m definitely looking for a decent fuzz pedal 

Depends what you want. The Duality has a very unique and interesting texture, it reacts differently depending how you play and sounds very ‘organic’. The EHX Green Russian is a bit more drab by comparison, but it’s a brute! It has more of a mid scoop so it’s difficult to hear it as a fuzz effect in a busy mix, but there’s no denying when it’s turned on, it adds so much low end and sustain that it just lifts everything up, so I treat it as more of a boost pedal. If I stomp on it, people don’t hear I’m using fuzz per se, but that extra low end sucks the air out of the room and all they hear is that the whole overall sound just got a lot heavier.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I like the Duality - but it is very in your face.

The Alpha-Omega may suit etter if you want control over the gain. It's a different flavour but more adaptable too.

I’ve got a b3 and hear the alpha omega was very similar  

what how do they compare? 

Have owned the Duality for a few years. It is very much a 'over the top'  and raw fuzz. I don't think it is great for an 'always on' overdrive or slight fuzz effect. However for bass solos or for moments you want things to go all out of control or make your bass sound like a big distorted guitar it is so much fun. If you are happy with the amount of gain on offer, the pedal is actually fairly flexible as you can tailor the tone of the fuzz to your liking. you can't get less gain, you can only get less of the fuzz in the signal via the blend control. 

The Alpha Omega will offer more flexibility, but I don't need it. 

I use my B3K more, but I have more fun with the Duality. 

On 21/11/2018 at 12:37, fretmeister said:

The AO gets a lot fuzzier than the B3K (I've got both) and there is a rawness to the AO that the B3K can't do.

Both good - they are both on my board.

Just out of interest what order do you put them in ? 

(Just to clarify it’s the Alpha Omicron I’m looking at, smaller one) 

guessing as long as it’s before the SansAmp the B3 and AO doesn’t really matter who Is first as I’m not likely to be running them together. But if I did what works best for you ? 

Edited by danny-79

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

B3K into the AO (big one)

AO for a warm, gritty always on for rock sound - then pound it with the B3K.

I tried the other way too - but I liked it this way better.

Yeah I briefly tried it the other way around. The big, full version of the AO would be a good replacement for the VT BASS, I’m thinking of getting the smaller version and keeping all three. 

But now I’m back to ware I was before I started this thread, thinking about changing the VT ??!?!?!!! Arrragh 😜🤪

the VT is great, more gain and growl than every need, add the B3 to it and it’s, in my opinion perfect 

its just the pedal quest for the holy grail.