Why become a member? ×

Rare Basses

Bass_Guardian

2 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

True legendary bass and something to hold on to. If you don’t mind me asking, how did it come to be in your possession?

Talkbass - 2006, way before people knew how many of these were made.  It was really as simple as that.  I was in the market for an old Series bass because I like the body shape, and this one was a bit 'extra'.    It's possible I might have played a part in attracting attention to them as a bunch of us on the Alembic club revealed ownership at the same time and eventually Mica filled dfung in on what was up with them. 

19 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The 96 [Modulus] Sonic Hammer I had was a peach though. 

Oh yes, how I remember that awesome thing. It sounded like god clearing his throat. If you look up 'aggressive' in the dictionary, it's got a picture of that bass followed by an exclamation mark. 

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Oh yes, how I remember that awesome thing. It sounded like god clearing his throat. If you look up 'aggressive' in the dictionary, it's got a picture of that bass followed by an exclamation mark. 

Yeah it had super low action and it carried a nice snarl in the mids.  I sold it on BW to a user called funkymunky and he had it for a long time.  Sometimes I find myself searching for another on Reverb just to see what's out there.

7 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

True legendary bass and something to hold on to. If you don’t mind me asking, how did it come to be in your possession?

He literally explains that about 13 posts back up the thread- whoops just saw that Kiwi had already replied to this- was tutting to myself about people not reading the thread and here I am myself- guilty as charged! 

Edited by EMG456
Already replied to
  • Haha 1

On 15/11/2018 at 15:19, Paul S said:

The most unusual bass I own now is a recently acquired Yamaha BX-5.  Unusual enough in black as a 4 string, let alone a white 5 string.

Not my bass but it looks exactly like this:

0110_3.jpg

Edit - so there must be at least one other!! 😄

Yep i have the 4 string version of that bass.

On 20/11/2018 at 23:02, pineweasel said:

Here's my Shergold Marathon 8 string. I have read that they only made about 50 of them in total, so I reckon my lefty is probably unique.

DSC_0083.thumb.JPG.ea31a8103f4180461bbc7130b0df0e51.JPG

I had their first 8 string Shergold. I requested it as a twin neck with a 4 string. They had never made one before so they use their 6 string bass as a template for the 8 string neck.

Think this is the only pic i have circa 1980 ish. I did actually see it for sale on Gumtree and when i contacted the seller to say i was the original owner he took it off Gumtree. Maybe he had stolen it.

old photos_0004_NEW (2).jpg