Why become a member? ×

Rare Basses

Bass_Guardian

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Interesting to see the Jack 5 on those lists.  I don't recall seeing one mentioned on here, other than me occasionally asking about them.  Anyone ever had one/got one?  I think I'd part with some hard-earned for a Jack 5.

This was my very first 5 strings bass, in black, bought new at the local store without knowing it had a low B. So once home, I decided to tune it in E, you know what kind of idiot you can be sometimes (or most of the time) and the G broke when I tried to tune it to C. I went to the store the next morning as I was working 50 meters away, but double ball strings were very rare at the time and a 5 strings set even rarer. They had to order the set in 1989 there was no internet store... so I had to wait for a month. I called the only luthier I knew who was Christophe LEDUC and he said he had some, went to him and had the bass completely set up in the meantime. It was a totally different instrument after that, with good strings and a very good setup. That's with this bass that I learnt to mute the unused strings. So, yes there were some Hohner The Jack V with neck-trough and active electronics. I kept it until I bought my fretless...

I think you have trouble to find one because its name is The Jack Bass Custom !

Exactly the same as this one :

hohner-the-jack-bass-custom-v-548605.thumb.jpg.9fa378d0b238965c55024d548d1b2758.jpg

hohner-the-jack-bass-custom-v-548607.thumb.jpg.fec2121ee8ffd667c9abf20863254ab9.jpg

Edited by Hellzero
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Just had a quick shufty through that list and I have to say it's tragically incomplete - none of the various Hohners I own or have owned are on it, it makes no differentiation between Japanese & later MIK etc guitars - and not even their arguably best-known instrument - The MadCat Tele copy, played and made famous by Prince - features.

Needs work. And consultation with geeks! :D

Yeah, you'd think Hohner would have better records of their own instruments... maybe a new Hohner thread is in order to try and gather together everything known about B2s Jacks, B basses and all the rest. When I started out playing back around 89-90 I had a Westone Spectrum Series 2 in red, it was... a bass. A mate had a Hohner B Bass (black I think) and, wow, would have loved that bass but so far outside my price range at the time it was unbelievable. Got my first B2A in 95 from the classified ads in the back of the local paper. It was listed as simply a Hohner B2A, no other info, guess you had to know what that meant. He was asking £100 for it and, to be honest I was expecting a bit of a dog at that price - but it was immaculate. Seller was a semi-pro bassist retiring due to arthritis, he just wanted it to go to a good home. I like to think it did, had it as my only bass for nearly 15 years and it travelled a lot. Finally sold it to a friend who was just learning bass - one of my few regrets.

On 17/11/2018 at 12:33, Cuzzie said:

G&L ASAT silver flake, white binding, #6 neck (old school P bass dimensions) and the extender strap.

Bought from the guy who invented the extender and only about 10 made of them. That bass I believe is an unusual spec for it, and it’s next to a semi hollow I had which was an unusual spec, but prob not rare enough a model.

This one may be stretching it....05EFA3D6-98CA-4A93-A7FC-664C09E39FCA.thumb.jpeg.0fd0bc7f07f1fdbb35bc4bcfee249f8e.jpeg

All Beauties! I was tempted by the silver asat on classicandcoolguitars.com recently that looked identical...  Does the strap peg in the upper fret area not get in the way though?

22 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Just had a quick shufty through that list and I have to say it's tragically incomplete - none of the various Hohners I own or have owned are on it, it makes no differentiation between Japanese & later MIK etc guitars - and not even their arguably best-known instrument - The MadCat Tele copy, played and made famous by Prince - features.

Needs work. And consultation with geeks! :D

I have got to agree. The one Hohner guitar I have owned also isn't on there - TE Custom XII. Although there is a TE Custom XII listed it's the black version which is simply a 12 string neck on the standard TE telecaster shape in black. Mine was a Jaguar/Jazzmaster shape with 3 lipstick pickups and in a castle green/blue colour. The only other one the same I have seen was owned by Captain Sensible.

On 14/11/2018 at 17:51, Bass_Guardian said:

Hello All!

Quite intrigued to see what rare basses people have on this forum. I'm not meaning one off builds to meet peoples specs but production basses.

Who's all got a rare bass out there?

Pictures are of course a necessity :useless:

Yep, but not the purpose of this topic.

• Like 1

Going for the hat trick here, I have Hamer FBIV, a model that at last estimate accounted for 'about 25' models.  Elsewhere, my Lulls...the JAXT4 ('a few') and my oversized NRT5 ('one of two').

I suppose Lull can just keep making the latter two, but the Hamer, while more prodigious, won't be made any more.

• Like 1

Right, not having completely mainstream tastes in this bass lark,  I've got a few rare-ish things in amongst the herd so, lets start with Steinberger and related.

XL5W wide neck 5 string - searched for years before this one came up.

WP_20181120_12_42_05_Pro.thumb.jpg.c006bb3f2fe42d690970d0b9e199481e.jpg

Next up, XL2TA. XL2s are not that rare, even in White but the T stands for Trans-Trem so...

WP_20181120_12_53_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.02d191c81e1ebcb3675203192ec837b7.jpg

Shouldn't really put this one here  as it was custom built for me but it fits with the first two - Status Custom 6 'Berger

WP_20181120_12_44_27_Pro.thumb.jpg.0352fca7a64c3df2f67993afb0cf50db.jpg

Enough of that headless nonsense - this is more like it.

Wal Mk2 5 string - not very rare?

WP_20181120_13_38_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.470f32c51bf21075ca7501dd7b387898.jpg

OK - the clue is here...

WP_20181120_13_38_51_Pro.thumb.jpg.e13948f6cc5d880c120382256881cec9.jpg

Kubicki Key Factor 5

WP_20181120_13_33_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.3f8b25d398fbb5a9d1a24964016fda55.jpg

And last amongst my rarities - Ibanez Studio 8 - it even matches the couch!

WP_20181120_13_45_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.63531e5be06da2f842524d127d441f05.jpg

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

@EMG456, these are rarities, for sure, I really love the mega rare Wal Midi Bass 5. Is everything MIDI still working ?

And that Steinberger Trans-Trem is the first I see by some real owner and not an ad in a magazine ! :hi:

Last time I checked - couple of years back, everything on the Wal still working perfectly!

How rare is a Modulus Quantum 6 Graphite 1999 with original Bartolini pickups and preamp, original Modulus molded and branded logo hard case, user manual, warranty card plus the mega rare Modulus Graphite sticker ?

IMG_20181120_155618.thumb.jpg.07b60876f61513bf1e05f515c363dc2f.jpg

IMG_20181120_155801.thumb.jpg.2f898f6382326b4fbd2a65eb9f19c783.jpg

And in fantastic condition...

• Like 3

Her maiden name is Modulus (Graphite) Quantum 6 SPi Custom. Extras include that maple top, black hardware and the bartolinis. KLD (thousand = kilo ladies dancing) neck is not wide (it is already 6) nor tinted, but they had red, blue and green available as an option. There was also the fretboard option of chechen in stead of phenolic resin. SPi is bolt-on and TBX is neck-through. Hollow version has a stylish f.

Mine is Modulus Graphite Quantum 5 SPi Custom, with bartolinis, gold hardware and a cocacola top, born 1991 - I am sorry for the last note because it is inappropriate to speak about the age of a lady.

• Like 2