Why become a member? ×

Rare Basses

Bass_Guardian

Hello All!

Quite intrigued to see what rare basses people have on this forum. I'm not meaning one off builds to meet peoples specs but production basses.

Who's all got a rare bass out there?

Pictures are of course a necessity :useless:

Edited by Bass_Guardian
Title was a bit clickbait
  • Like 1

Maybe my Ibanez Affirma (maple) and Misa Tri-Bass are closest to rare, if the latter is also considered as a bass.

https://misa-digital.myshopify.com/products/tri-bass

No, I do not own these, but some I would love to have:

Mouradian CS-74

fretless Ampeg (1966)

Vox Stinger IV (1967)

Overwater C (1985)

5-string Parker Fly (1992?)

Atlansia, any model

Zemaitis, any bass

any doubleneck: everybody remembers Rics, Wals and Pedullas but how about a Gretsch Bikini (1961)?

Lane Poor minima (late 1980's and 1990's)

Neuser Claudia / Clawhammer (1990's)

Edited by itu

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

I'll actually say what this is, but i'm sure many will know this beast

Overwater Classic / Original  Deluxe ll,  1983,  Filter circuit , Bill Lawrence pups in Ebony covers

LETfP86.jpg

I remember seeing Rick Kemp in Steeleye Span playing one of these and loving the sound of it. Listen to Blackleg Miner - awesome. I then met him and tried his fretless version which was brill. So wanted one but couldn’t afford one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

I remember seeing Rick Kemp in Steeleye Span playing one of these and loving the sound of it. Listen to Blackleg Miner - awesome. I then met him and tried his fretless version which was brill. So wanted one but couldn’t afford one. 

I also remember Rod Clements of Lindisfarne playing a fretless classic. It came up for sale a few years ago and it was quite a price

6 hours ago, itu said:

What is the body material of the Resolite? Is it something else than wood, like glass fiber?

I have seen a (Canadian?) bass in 1990's that had a wooden neck but a black hollow body and looked like a jazz. Godin, no?

I'm afraid not, just an alder body capped with maple.

All my basses are rare, being left-handed 😜

I used to own a lefty Aria SB-1000 that stands out - you just never see any. The set-neck models come by once in a while, but the neck-through models are very rare. Mine had two extra pickups installed, and was originally fretless but had been fretted by a previous owner. 

My Ibanez MC924's are also kind of rare as lefties. Rumour has it there are only about 250 in existance. I had been looking for one for a few years, and then found three within a couple of months and bought all three, and kept the best two. Fantastic basses. My 1983 is an absolute keeper (it's just one month younger than I am).

And I own an Esh Stinger that is somewhat unusual, especially as a lefty. It's a fun bass, with two EMG DC35's and a piezo bridge. Lots of punch, and a bright and powerful attack. Cool looks too, with the sandblasted ash with blackened grain beneath a white finish. It looks similar to this one, but left-handed, with a deeper neck pocket and longer heel, and with two big EMG soapbars. Controls are volume, passive tone, 3-way rotary pickup selector and 4-way "Esh-tronic" switch: mag only, mag only bypassing all controls, mag + piezo, piezo only.

esh-stinger-i-2.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 4

On the face of it, and from a distance, this bass may look like a standard Squier P
But it's an A-Series, MIJ early 80's Japan market medium scale 32" bass. The bodies of these fine instruments are proportionally smaller too. It's very lightweight indeed

This one is also in an unusual finish / colour - it's Dichroic Metallic Green
It's really hard to photograph, but the colour changes, depending on the light and angle of light on it
It's a sparkly finish, and it changes colour from Dark Green, to mid-Green, to Black, To Purple....

Not seen another one of these

IMG_20170523_174207250_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170523_174221902_HDR.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Adee said:

This is an '88 Washburn B80, Neon Pink / Blue Crackle finish, rare as hens teeth and very little info about them unfortunately.

The 'Stephens Extended Cutaway' is just plain sexy ....

IMG_0035.thumb.jpg.89380379e5805515675abbc75e0be562.jpgIMG_0034.thumb.jpg.3b115f02ba9e548b0edaf5674c416591.jpg

That is hideous!

Absolutely awful....

.... and yet strangely I desperately want one! :lol:

• Haha 2

FB_IMG_1542286711685.thumb.jpg.1099d2bdec82ad98b6741afaf986e317.jpg

On the right:

My '98 Status Trace Elliot SE in candy apple red 

They only made 50 5 string special editions so not sure how many where this colour combo. Gotta love a matching headstock

*Will try get a better photo tonight. Just found an old one on my phone.*

Edited by Bass_Guardian
  • Like 1

Not sure if it quite qualifies as 'super' rare but my 1997 Modulus Flea bass has the doodle signature headstock, string guides and original Lane Poor pickup. Non truss rod neck too, so it has the slimmer neck profile. Not too many of these around!

IMG_20180801_115444110~2.jpg

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 3

Peavey Palaedium, the Jeff Berlin signature. This is one of the US basses, I think it's a 1993 model but I can't look at the serial number at the moment as I'm away for work. Jeff didn't stay with Peavey for all that long and signature basses never shift in huge numbers, especially for a jazz fusion player, so I doubt Peavey sold a huge number of them. They are fantastically made and worth next to nothing these days - Peavey have never commanded huge prices outside of their US-made Cirrus line. I got this for less than $300.

I love Peaveys of this vintage. I'd buy a Rudy Sarzo signature or a TL-6 if I saw one for sale. A B-Quad is on my dream bass list too.

dECoQuy.jpg

• Like 3