Why become a member? ×

Small Lightweight Combo under 20kg?

The59Sound

Ashdown unreliable? Don't know about that but I do know they look after their customers in exemplary fashion if anything does go wrong. Markbass on the other hand definitely do not. Their gear fails? Tough sh!t. No one can fix it but their one chosen company. So you face couriers or a long drive and as they're the only show in town they can charge you what the hell they like.

I learned my lesson the hard way with MB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Has a canny spec but lots of toys to potentially go wrong perhaps?

Hopefully not, but it is like having a computer in your amp - surprisingly easy though to get to grips with. Very impressed with mine so far and am using it in a rock/grunge band. Bought a £13 Stagg amp stand and it’s a perfect tilt now. The Fender 800 is not for the faint hearted but it’s a very rewarding journey and well worth it once you take the plunge. 

Although technically not a combo, my Barefaced One10 & GK MB500 are small & great for rock (in fact any style really). I have the amp attached with ultra high bond tape to the cab so that they come out of the cajon bag as 1. Bonus is a top hat fitting so I can put it on a standard speaker stand to have it at ear level.

I think with the amp, cab and the wireless unit stuck on top it comes in at less than 10kg

Edited by Delberthot

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

If you want the best, then try to find a second hand AER Amp One, Two or Three as they are very expensive new. You'll have the ultimate portable combo designed for electric bass.

Check Ed Friedland's videos about the subject :

They are indeed probably the best combos on the market.  I've had the AER amp one (albeit briefly) and the AER amp two (for several years).

I can't help thinking that my current Barefaced one10 with MB200 is the equal of the AER amp one for less than half the cost and half the weight and my Barefaced Super Midget and Quilter BB800 is the equal (perhaps the better?) of the AER amp two.  Again cost is almost halved and weight is easily halved.

Neither of those are combos though.  I prefer seperates myself because I can carry a spare amp to gigs and the weights are lighter and easier to manage.

But that's just me. :)

Frank.

On 14/11/2018 at 12:20, The59Sound said:

As the title says really - what are my options? I'm after a small, lightweight combo, preferably a 1x12 or 2x10 for gigs which will most likely have monitors already so the combo would just be used to monitor my on stage sound.

Mark Bass has plenty of options, GK has 200w combos but not sure if that will be loud enough? Not after a super clean Genz sound! 

Markbass Ninja 2x10 500 watt combo (into an extension cab), very light weight. There is a 250watt version as well. Green amp to offset the yellow speakers, sort of an acquired taste!

When all's said and done if it were me and it had to be a combo I'd be really tempted by the Fender Rumble 500 combo or, if wanting smaller but costing more, a Markbass CMD121P, one of which I owned for several years and numerous gigs, most without PA support too.

I still think separate head and cab are easier on my back than any combo. 😉

Frank.

Yes, and I do prefer the standard one without the coaxial speaker as it suits more my taste. They can handle a lot of power and respond fast with a very good low end (don't expect them to go as low as an 18" 😉 ). The weight is what is announced. Some prefer front ported bass reflex, but with a rear ported one, it's easier to place.

I also own the very tiny GSS 06B400 combo which is coupled now to an EA Wizzy-112 M Line (the GSS single 12 was planned, but I got this in a trade) for the right amount of power. 

Can't believe I forgot about this little guy >>

hpim1688-jpg.522334

If you can find an original Ibanez Promethean P5110 Combo, you'll be laughing!
300W, 500W with an extension cab. Tiny. Incredibly powerful. It had a kick back stand built in too. I have no idea why they stopped making them. There's been another model since which was total crap and now they're doing a 20W version that looks a bit like this one, but obviously being 20W it's not really much use to anyone.

The only other real mystery is why I sold mine!
It kept up with a loud drummer at rehearsals and quiet gigs, and worked perfectly for the kind of on stage monitoring you're talking about at louder gigs.

They do seem to be extremely rare these days though...

Eude

13 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Yes, and I do prefer the standard one without the coaxial speaker as it suits more my taste. They can handle a lot of power and respond fast with a very good low end (don't expect them to go as low as an 18" 😉 ). The weight is what is announced. Some prefer front ported bass reflex, but with a rear ported one, it's easier to place.

I prefer non tweeter cabinets... no idea what front ported and rear ported means! 

25 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I prefer non tweeter cabinets... no idea what front ported and rear ported means! 

This is the opening you can see in a cab, which is mostly circular, but can have any shape and can be anywhere or even everywhere. The Promethean just above is a front loaded bass reflex construction, as you can see below the speaker a rectangular opening. This opening permits to lower the size while still having the same amount of bass (theoretically as you will notice a difference in the sound reproduction).

On 15/11/2018 at 16:24, machinehead said:

They are indeed probably the best combos on the market.  I've had the AER amp one (albeit briefly) and the AER amp two (for several years).

I can't help thinking that my current Barefaced one10 with MB200 is the equal of the AER amp one for less than half the cost and half the weight and my Barefaced Super Midget and Quilter BB800 is the equal (perhaps the better?) of the AER amp two.  Again cost is almost halved and weight is easily halved.

Neither of those are combos though.  I prefer seperates myself because I can carry a spare amp to gigs and the weights are lighter and easier to manage.

But that's just me. :)

Frank.

It’s because of this comment that I’ve had the guts to pick up a secondhand BF One10 and a secondhand GK MBF500. I was possibly going to try an RCF HD-10A with Zoom pedal but couldn’t find any locally to try out. At least I can flip the BF if it doesn’t work out. 

The AER Amp One I would have bought secondhand if it was available. But I remember how powerful it was when I last owned one, and if the BF One10 can muster a similar presence/volume at a cost and weight reduction I’ll be very impressed.