Why become a member? ×

2 tone pots 1 pickup

fleabag

Ok - cheers H

Reading up about Linear v Audio ( Log ) the word was Audio for tone pots and Linear  for Volume pot, so would you say that's back to front.?

What i would like to avoid  is having the tone, and the volume , all happening at the last couple of millimetres of turning.

You could alternatively use one tone pot, and a rotary switch to select a range of different capacitors (certainly when Maplin was still in business they sold rotary switches that were very similar in dimension to full sized pots). This would function in a similar fashion to a tonestyler, but with much more fine control provided by the tone pot.

On 14/11/2018 at 16:54, Twincam said:

It's more like a passive eq. Cut only, bass and treble. They did it on the ebmm USA passive subs and supposedly they sound pretty good. 

And G&L use the same methodology on the L series. At the end of the day in a passive bass you don't have a "tone" control as such. It is a Treble Cut, (or Bass cut in the EBMM/G&L scenario). So having 2 "tone" pots with different capacitors would just give you a different cut when fully on. When fully off the result is the same in either case.

Good points made chaps.

The rotary idea with different capacitors sounds like something i had on my MM clone a few years ago. It was called an inductor circuit, and you couldn't see the caps

I'll see if i can find an old photo

Edited by fleabag

The only trouble i can see with the inductor or tone styler is how you switch through to the setting you want and remembering.

Ok, it's not a biggie - but say i want position 4 and position 11  as my 2 tones, i gotta remember each time where my pot is currently sat, and either count forwards, or worse, backwards when changing tones

If i had 2 regular tone pots, they can be pre-set already, and just flip the selector switch

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

The only trouble i can see with the inductor or tone styler is how you switch through to the setting you want and remembering.

Ok, it's not a biggie - but say i want position 4 and position 11  as my 2 tones, i gotta remember each time where my pot is currently sat, and either count forwards, or worse, backwards when changing tones

If i had 2 regular tone pots, they can be pre-set already, and just flip the selector switch

Do you have two specific tone settings in mind?