Why become a member? ×

Power Amp into Ampeg SCR-DI...? Or small Class D head?

Misowaki

So I've just ordered myself a Barefaced One 10 and am thinking of either downgrading my PF500 to get something like a TC BH250 or Markbass Nano Mark or something but then thought... would a little power amp work from my SCR-DI?  Anyone know if this is possible/a practical way of getting a little amp head in a bag without spending another £200-300?

I normally take a Spectracomp, Polytune and the SCR-DI to a gig so a little power amp would do the trick if it's doable but then so would a BH250 with toneprint and tuner built in and leave the other bits at home...

I know I could just chuck the PF500 in a bag/double bass case and be done but I like the idea of something smaller.  I have a PF20T too which I'm sure will sound phenomenal through the One 10 but in case I don't fancy driving to a gig, wanna be able to basically have everything in one bag and the cab in my hand.

Anyone got anything to say about either head or the power amp thing?  Either of them any good?

Cheers

Edited by Misowaki

Btw the One10 are great cabs which can handle many watts and go loud - if powered right.    The BH250 and Nano Mark are, what, 150W into 8ohm.  The PF500 would be 300W.  When I had a One10, I used a Shuttle 9.2 which is 500W.  It might be something to consider, depending on your volume requirements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

Sorry to hijack, but how would it work, using a power amp and a separate preamp pedal? It's something I've been interested in but never really understood.

Bass -> Preamp DI -> output to input of power amp -> output to speaker cab

(Effectively the pedal replaces the Preamp part of your amp head - really useful if you want to try different preamps without buying a whole amp head each time!)

Edited by Bridgehouse

I'm using a BH250 into a One10. Both fit neatly into a Tiger cajon bag. I chose the head for convenience with the built in tuner and spectracomp loaded. I paid £222  but they're now down to £181.

Alternatives - the Elf and MB-200 seem popular and also the Peavey Minimax.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Bass -> Preamp DI -> output to input of power amp -> output to speaker cab

(Effectively the pedal replaces the Preamp part of your amp head - really useful if you want to try different preamps without buying a whole amp head each time!)

Thanks. Was interested in the idea of a Sunnbather preamp/DI pedal and a power amp but didn't really know how it would work.

Just now, Jono Bolton said:

Thanks. Was interested in the idea of a Sunnbather preamp/DI pedal and a power amp but didn't really know how it would work.

I know this is over simplifying and people will grumble, but effectively an FRFR cab is a (fuller range) cab with a built in power amp..

47 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I know this is over simplifying and people will grumble, but effectively an FRFR cab is a (fuller range) cab with a built in power amp..

I wouldn't say it's oversimplifying; in fact, it's taking things to the logical modular conclusion -- i.e. the separation of the tone shaping and amplification stages.  An approach which works if you don't want the in-built tone shaping that a cab provides, or otherwise happy to recreate/simulate that via a pedal etc.

4 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

If the idea to create the physically smallest possible rig, one small power amp is http://www.guitarsoundsystems.com/gss-baby-sumo-ampxlite-bass-guitar-power-amp-c2x21844846 -- but that costs the £200-£300 you don't want to spend. 

That does look ideal but yeah for that money, may as well buy a small head 😃

I use an ampeg SCR DI in that exact way.

Gig

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Crown 402 power amp -> any of my cabs....

Home

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Headphones

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Studio Spares 60w digital power amp (60 watts/£45) -> TL806 cab

Studio spares power amp :- https://www.studiospares.com/B-Stock/bstock/B-STOCK-Studiospares-Aktivate-85-Power-Amp-Unit_B-249180.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv0H-XSHw_I2D8oI8IZiZvpK3-NGbyANQASmToGpS96dVqTAlnNMFDhoCOAcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, gpw5150 said:

I use an ampeg SCR DI in that exact way.

Gig

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Crown 402 power amp -> any of my cabs....

Home

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Headphones

Bass -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Studio Spares 60w digital power amp (60 watts/£45) -> TL806 cab

Studio spares power amp :- https://www.studiospares.com/B-Stock/bstock/B-STOCK-Studiospares-Aktivate-85-Power-Amp-Unit_B-249180.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv0H-XSHw_I2D8oI8IZiZvpK3-NGbyANQASmToGpS96dVqTAlnNMFDhoCOAcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sweet, nice one, I'll look into that!

Cheers

Thing is I've got a 210he and 115lf that I use together when needed and they're rated to match the head. Barefaced say that a One 10 is "Safe with up to 500W if you're running fairly clean sounds"  which I wont always be so wouldn't want to risk that. 

The plan is One 10 with the PF20T or a tiny head I can chuck in a bag for small gigs/as a stage monitor and eventually get a Super Compact or something a little larger (matched for power, of course, dunno if the Compact is as of writing) for when needed but I have the Ampeg cabs for now. Might chuck the PF500 and 210HE combo up for sale here. Much as I love it, I also love the idea of rolling up to a gig with a cab in hand and everything else on my back instead of cars and multiple trips. 

Also means I get to actually have a drink post gig! 👌👑🍻

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I ended up going with a TC BH250 at £181 and am beyond pleased with it.  Surprisingly loud!  Tried it at rehearsal through the studio's Hartke 4x10 and it sounded huge!  Played at home through my Ampegs and it's just as loud as the PF500 with both volumes set around 12 0'clock.  Perhaps the PF500 only starts to kick up the volume further up?  Didn't really check but as it stands, I have no doubt the BH250 and the One 10 (when it eventually arrives, hopefully this week) will be plenty loud for small gigs and DI'd for bigger.  Really hoped to be able to give it it's first proper outing at XOYO last night but had to take the fliptop which I still love but had to wedge it in my drummer's car.

A note on sound: BH250 vs PF500.  Everything I've read so far seems to hold true.  The TC is more bass heavy and for the first time ever, I found myself turning the bass down! Sounds great though, full and punchy with my flat wound P bass but no loss of clarity when using my round wound P/J.  Perhaps a touch more versatility on the Ampeg but it's easy enough to tune in to what you want on the TC.  The EQ system is actually decent and despite my dubious chin stroking moment when first reading about it, I'm pleased to report it works as promised.

Built in tuner and Spectracomp means atm, only pedal I need to bring with is the OC3.  Am toying with the idea of buying or building a 3 way switch for it but I believe that would mean either/or of the two Toneprint slots as opposed to both.  Don't know if anyone can attest to that?

Overall result: a result.  All I need fits into a regular rucksack with room to spare.  Add the One 10 and I can traipse around town with minimal effort and no car required.