Why become a member? ×

The greatest bass lines to learn ?

musicbassman

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Depends what you want to play or the style you want to have. If the part has techniques, phrasing or style that you would never use in the music you like to play then I dont see the point in learning to play it.

Sorry mikel, but if it has "techniques, phrasing or style that I would never use in the music I like to play"  then that's every reason to learn it - to open your mind up to different ways of looking at the bass as an instrument and its musical role in a band.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

...some lines that were actually done on a Fairlight esp Hyperactive  by Thomas Dolby

That's twice today that someone has mentioned Thomas Dolby.  I'm off to dig out my old CDs...  Hang on, I've not got a CD player!  Apple music should have some TD.  😎

On the subject of great synth basslines on bass, have a blast of 24k Magic by Bruno Mars.  Fantastic bassline.  I learned it on the Seaboard & then transferred it to bass.  I'll video it sometime.

Edited by xgsjx

5 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Sorry mikel, but if it has "techniques, phrasing or style that I would never use in the music I like to play"  then that's every reason to learn it - to open your mind up to different ways of looking at the bass as an instrument and its musical role in a band.

Oh yes, I have to agree with this. It makes huge sense. I don't even limit it to just bass either. I play guitar, a bit of keys and I spend time understanding drum parts too. Indeed, playing Prog Metal, I've easily been able to pull from the likes of Dil Katz (lovely phrasing on fretless) and Brian May's methods of writing guitar solos. Neither of these musicians play Prog Metal. (Well, not that I know of anyway ha ha!)

18 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Hence the phrase "That I would never use". For most of us time is tight regarding music as its not our full time job. Why waste any of it listening too, deciphering and learning something that is completely alien to what you want and like to play?  My musical theory is to drop stuff I dont need and get better at the stuff I do use and need. If I was a pro musician with 10 hours a day to practice then it would be different.

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Hence the phrase "That I would never use". For most of us time is tight regarding music as its not our full time job. Why waste any of it listening too, deciphering and learning something that is completely alien to what you want and like to play?  My musical theory is to drop stuff I dont need and get better at the stuff I do use and need. If I was a pro musician with 10 hours a day to practice then it would be different.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this, mikel.

Yes, of course you learn your favourite bass lines from your favourite players – these will influence your fundamental playing style. You may also, like me , usually work in cover bands and have to learn a wide variety of bass lines and bass styles to suit your chosen set list.

But if you sometimes try to learn something outside your comfort zone then all sorts of wondrous creative things can happen – and if you are in a band trying to write original material that doesn’t sound too much like something that’s gone before you can then bring a fresh approach to your bass lines as a result, and people maybe won’t say “Oh, they sound just like so and so”

Just two examples – think of Louis Cole – he’s written some amazing innovative synth bass lines for Knower. And then along come Sam Wilkes (and Tim Lefebvre) and they use these as a kicking off point to play some really fresh lines (and most of these are completely beyond my capabilities!)

And also think of the influence of Dilla beats on Hiatus Kaiyote – this affected the whole interplay between bass and drums on all their material and pushed things off in another new direction which other bands are now slavishly trying to copy.

Just my opinion...

1 hour ago, mikel said:

Intellectual curiosity?

A desire to better yourself?

Filling gaps in knowledge?

Learning is its own reward. Does not have to have a purpose.