Why become a member? ×

The greatest bass lines to learn ?

musicbassman

Rhythm Stick is a fun one when you finally get it to flow.

I like a lot of Geddy Lee's lines - many of them use patterns you're familiar with, but used in ways you might not have thought of.

For example, "Circumstances" has a great signature riff, as does "Freewill" which also includes a nice solo section with variations on a theme.

Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" is the one I currently have on my "to figure out" list.

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

So.... I've finally got round to learning Rhythm Stick. It's a monster bass line I've been meaning to learn for a while.

Any other ideas for great bass lines to study?

(I'm planning on 'What is Hip?' next)    9_9

I’ve got a transcription of what is hip if you want it. It was an exam piece at uni.

Currently trying to get The Real Me by The Who nailed. Being in a Mod band with quite a following on the scene people will notice if it's not bang on so near enough isn't good enough. It's like a three minute, hundred miles an hour solo. 

8 hours ago, musicbassman said:

So.... I've finally got round to learning Rhythm Stick. It's a monster bass line I've been meaning to learn for a while.

Any other ideas for great bass lines to study?

(I'm planning on 'What is Hip?' next)    9_9

Occasionally I have to learn songs that I don't like for wedding gigs so I always have something ready at the end that I enjoy playing. At the moment it is this version of What Is Hip - I find it easier to play than the original despite being a lot faster

2 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Occasionally I have to learn songs that I don't like for wedding gigs so I always have something ready at the end that I enjoy playing. At the moment it is this version of What Is Hip - I find it easier to play than the original despite being a lot faster

Jeez - that is seriously quick !!

We've recently started playing ,run to the hills, number of beast,Steve Harris is monster bass player ,and it's hell of a workout for your fingers and there's no one to touch him in his style of playing,  and we all love playing them as none of us have for years 😀👍

Edited by kevvo66

11 hours ago, HengistPod said:

Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" is the one I currently have on my "to figure out" list.

I'm currently learning / practicing that one (thanks to that nice man "Mark" at talkingbass.net, for the fancy instrumental section) ... struggling with playing at the dusty end though, and that's me at only 80bpm -- never mind getting up to the full 107!

"I was made to love her" is a bit of a mission / labour of love, but not too bad... although to be fair I'm not playing that at full-speed yet, either.

Hendrix's bassline under "All along the watchtower" is on my bucket list too. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000

My approach is to improving is to master my bucket list of bass. This is around 150 tunes which includes Rhythm Stick and Sir Duke. I'd recommend a few more Stevie Wonder tunes like Masterblaster and I Wish. Other great ones to have under your belt are Club Country by The Associates, Kajagoogoo's Too Shy, Level 42's Love Games & Hot Water, Life in Tokyo & European Son by Japan and some lines that were actually done on a Fairlight esp Hyperactive  by Thomas Dolby

17 hours ago, Maude said:

Currently trying to get The Real Me by The Who nailed. Being in a Mod band with quite a following on the scene people will notice if it's not bang on so near enough isn't good enough. It's like a three minute, hundred miles an hour solo. 

Play the WASP version.

Johnny Rod did a better job than JE did!

Heresy I know - but it's true.