Why become a member? ×

we can work it out. Chaka Khan

bassjim

I think this has been asked before but has anyone got the bass transcription to Chaka Khans version of we can work it out?

This guys all over it. I've started playing along with some limited success but the dots would really help a lot if anyone out in bass land has them. Its turned into one of those obsessive things where I just have to get this done weather my band plays it or not!

Edited by bassjim

This is such a great version, Greg Phillinganes plays some ridiculous stuff! I seem to remember some lengthy debates on here as to whether or not Anthony Jackson was doubling the synth or not...

Anyway, found this lurking on my hard drive. Not one of my transcriptions and I haven't played through it, but it looks good - I tried to find the original link but couldn't.

Chaka Khan - We Can Work It Out.pdf

I did a transcription of this years ago, definitely a keyboard part as most of it doesn’t fit under the hand very easily like a bass part might. I’ve also heard the rumours but having a close listen it sounds like keyboard only - What ‘Cha Gonna Do For Me has Anthony with either an early analogue synth pedal or doubled on synth and the tone is markedly different. That and Greg’s synth goes out of tune on one low note in this tune!

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wal4string said:

Not a big fan of anyone playing along to a tune. Chaka used Anthony Jackson on several recordings, sounds like him to me.

17 hours ago, stevie said:

Good sight reading practice. Ho Ho. I don't think I could ever play that in a million years.🤩

I'm a fan of someone playing along when I can slow it down on you tube to help me learn something😀

Yeah good sight reading practice! I think this transcription is close but not exactly right but its close enough to get you in the ball park. I'm almost there with this one now. Just got to get the end section down. Bar 57 onwards. Really enjoying this one!