Why become a member? ×

NAD Genzler Magellan 800

EmmettC

I've been after a Genzler Magellan for a while, but I haven't been able to justify paying to upgrade from my Genz Benz Streamliner 900, but the more I've heard about it the more certain I was. I finally picked up one on here from @Deedee which arrived today. 

It arrived in the morning, I popped home from work on my lunch to check it was in one piece, then I decided to use it for a gig this evening. I was a little reluctant to gig it without trying it properly, but all the reviews and sound clips suggested it was easy enough to get a sound from and I brought my Streamliner in case it didn't work out.

I have to say it is great, it sounds phenomenal with everything flat, and after a little tweaking I've found just a touch of the A contour with a flat eq is perfect for me. Our engineer (who is with us most of the time) said the di was a bit hotter but pretty similar to the Streamliner. 

I am very happy with it, having said that I was happy with the Streamliner too, but this feels just as fat, but less muddy. And that's after only one gig.

** in case it's important, I use one Barefaced Big Baby 2 cab. I like it a lot, but have been thinking it might be too clean sounding and possibly something a bit more "vintage" might suit me better, maybe a Barefaced 210.

I'll get some pics on the next gig, was a bit too busy tweaking to take photos.

• Like 2

I found rolling off a little bass and low mids around 9 o'clock gave me a bright clean tone on the Streamliner, though to he honest I usually ran it pretty flat. The Magellan is better, but the Streamliner is still one of my favourite amps. 

I think I'll hold on to mine as a backup, mostly because they don't seem to be selling very fast on here at the moment.