Why become a member? ×

Can low frequencies ( 50 Hz and below ) damage my bass cab?

sjaakmegens

Hi i had a question about frequency response and how it works. 

I have an ampeg STV 410HE cab. In the manual on the official Ampeg site it says:

Frequency Response (-3dB): 60Hz-18kHz 
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 43Hz

My STV-400T has a  graphic equalizer that goes from 50 Hz to 5KHz.

the ultra low pull switch adds 8 dB of 40Hz . Does that mean that if i either use the ultra low switch or the 50Hz control on the graphic EQ that it will damage my bass cab?

Edited by sjaakmegens

1 hour ago, sjaakmegens said:

the ultra low pull switch adds 8 dB of 40Hz . Does that mean that if i either use the ultra low switch or the 50Hz control on the graphic EQ that it will damage my bass cab?

That depends. Adding 8dB increases power delivery by a factor of 6.3, and cone excursion by a factor of 2.5. However, your bass doesn't create equal output at all frequencies. At 40 Hz it's probably at least 8dB lower than at the 2nd harmonic at 80Hz and the third harmonic at 120Hz, so all that 8dB boost might be doing is making the 40Hz, 80Hz and 120Hz content more equal, thus the source of the term 'equalizer'. If boosting the lows causes distortion don't boost them. If it doesn't you're probably OK.

• Like 1

Bill's advice is good. All usable frequency (-10dB) means Is that there is some sound you can still hear at that frequency, which is conveniently the fundamental of bottom E. Below that the sound will have fallen off enough for you to no longer really be able to detect it. In any case as Bill has said most of your sound is 2nd and third harmonic so you'll still hear the notes with a five string, just not the fundamental.

There is a very tiny possibility of damage below this frequency especially with ported cabs. Subsonics which you can't hear can cause huge cone excursions which can cause speakers problems so do listen out for signs of stress. It's good practice to filter out subsonics as it reduces cone excusion without noticeably affecting the sound. 

Your's is a loud cab so will probably do every thing you ask of it without distress.