Why become a member? ×

Hipshot HB6 3/8" Licenced Tuner hole size

Delberthot

I am looking at a set of ultralites for my RIckenbacker. Everything fits the bill with the HB6 tuners except the mounting hole of 14mm.

The diameter of the hole on the Rick is only 13mm.

The same 1/2" version recommend a 17.5mm hole but the tuner is only 16mm at the widest point of the nut part that screws in from the front. 

Does anyone have a 3/8" licenced HB6 that they could measure for me as I'm hoping that they will fit my existing 13mm tuner hole. The reason for licenced is that I have read that they are ever so slightly smaller than the US versions

Edited by Delberthot

• 1 month later...

I did replace them. I didn't have a round file the correct size so I used a drill bit wrapped in sandpaper to carefully enlarge the holes (by hand, not actually using a drill as that would have ended in tears). The nut that screws into the tuner on the D string does get very close to the truss rod cover but there is plenty of room to tighten it.

The other thing is that the Rick headstock is on the absolute limit of thickness for actually being able to tighten the big top nut onto the tuner. In the end I screwed the tuner onto the headstock before I tightened the nut to make sure that the tuner was as tight against the back of the headstock as it could get.

Weight wise it was only something like 93g of a difference but it did help to balance the neck out.

I used the Y head tuners rather than the clover leaf ones as they were lighter. They're fitted to the 4004 models so I knew that they'd look ok.

I used this seller and they arrived pretty quickly. The tuners are more satin than shiny chrome. Still contemplating getting a d-tuner