Why become a member? ×

I don't use effects on bass. How common is that?

jazzyvee

I don't use effects at all in my bass playing and I don't also have any axes to grind with those who do.  Most of the gigs I have been to these days there is some kind of effect pedal(s) being used by the bass guitarist and to be honest it works well with their music.

So far in my gigging I have not found a need to nor been asked so I just wondered how common this is these days for bass players to go clean.

I'm sure the sound guys would add some compression to most things going through FOH but I think that is his/her call and something different.

Who else is into the naked sound of their bass through their amp.

I have never used a pedal and I've never been asked to. I try to buy gear that sounds great out of the box and matches the sound I want. Fortunately that sound seems to fit.

I've played songs that had pedals on the original, chorus etc, and so far no one has commented when I just play it straight.

While ago I bought a Thumpinator to see what it would do for my sound, but I kinda lost interest and haven't even bought the transformer for it yet.

Me too, been playing 40 years or more and never used an effects pedal. I carry a Sansamp in my kit bag, but that is primarily as a back up should my amp or cab go down. I very rarely adjust tone or volume controls on my bass or my amp - once set to suit the venue, they stay set for the rest of the night.

I use a Tech21 Para Driver to get my sound. I can get the sound I want with both my ABM600 and RM500 but as most of the gigs I do are with gear shares, which more often than not means me using a rig I`m unfamiliar with it`s easier to just always have the Para Driver set-up and going. The plus point is no matter what gig I do FOH gets "me", irrespective of what the on-stage sound is through whatever rig is there as I DI straight from the pedal. I`d like to be a bassist that was pedal free but there are many amps that can`t get the sound I have.

80% of the gigging I do is clean, the other 20% is simply choosing to add in a little sonic flavours here and then, a little Octave, a little Chorus, some envelope filter etc etc.
Could I do what I do whilst playing clean 100% of the time, of course, but I could also probably get by with having the same meal every night of the week.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

To be honest, Lozz, I wouldn't count a pre-amp like a Sansamp as an effects box, more a part of your amp. I have experimented with my Sansamp as a pre-amp going into the power amp of my Ashdowns, but it was just more gear to set up for no real advantage. I do use it that way for gigs where the amps are supplied (if they are unknown to me) and rehearsal studios, just to reduce the amount of time I have to spend faffing about trying to a get a sound I'm happy with.

I think my biggest problem with effects was (still is, tbh) I never really understood how to get the best out of them and it always sounded, to me, rather clumsy.  I went through a phase (!) of using a few pedals, then changed to a multi-effect pedal but for the past 3-4 years have been pedal free.  I recently bought and now habitually use a compressor but I don't think of that in the same way as an 'effect'.   I remember if felt quite liberating not using them, when it happened.

I look on with envy at bassists who turn up to gigs and just plug straight in, one lead, with a clip-on tuner attached to their headstock, but it just doesn`t work like that for me. If I had a generic Precision tone then it would but even then I`ve found the clip-ons to be iffy on the E string so would still need my trusty Boss TU2.

Ok confession time. I totally love messing about with the soundscapes that pedals give me. They're a lot of creative home-studio fun. But thus far the only effect I have used at gigs has been what's available on my amps (DG M900 dirt).

My signal chain has for several years been just bass, guitar lead, amp & cab. Job done :)

No effects for me, straight in, Fender p or j into a Genz combo, gain up, bit of treble cut, that’s all. Very occasionally I’ll use a compressor if I’m out of shape and my dynamics are all over the place, but that’s to compensate for my shîtness rather than to make nice sounds. I don’t even have a tuner pedal, I tune up when I turn up using an old Boss metronome and that’s that. Clutter bugs me and public transport stops me from being able to carry anything except my bass and my combo, so I’m as minimal as possible. Even that feels like too much to carry, if I could minimise it more I would. The horn section turns up with a tiny case, and they’re straight in, no faff. Quite jealous of that.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I look on with envy at bassists who turn up to gigs and just plug straight in, one lead, with a clip-on tuner attached to their headstock, but it just doesn`t work like that for me. If I had a generic Precision tone then it would but even then I`ve found the clip-ons to be iffy on the E string so would still need my trusty Boss TU2.

I don’t use any effects at all.... plug and play. I don’t even need a clip on tuner as there’s one built in my RH750! 

The only time I have used effects is at home and messing about, mostly for my own amusement. 😃

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I use a Tech21 Para Driver to get my sound. I can get the sound I want with both my ABM600 and RM500 but as most of the gigs I do are with gear shares, which more often than not means me using a rig I`m unfamiliar with it`s easier to just always have the Para Driver set-up and going. The plus point is no matter what gig I do FOH gets "me", irrespective of what the on-stage sound is through whatever rig is there as I DI straight from the pedal. I`d like to be a bassist that was pedal free but there are many amps that can`t get the sound I have.

Makes good sense to me. 🙂

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I wouldn't describe a tuner as an effects pedal. I use one in my guitar effects board and not noticed any detriment to the signal but with bass I found the clip on to be easier to use as I have a standby switch on my bass so I can tune up in silence. The plus was also that I could then bring just two cables ( one spare) instead of 3 cables to have one spare. You are right the Clip-ons can be fooled by other vibes in the room.

Edited by jazzyvee

I love pedals, and I love playing without too.

When I did the Top 40 covers thing in a 3 piece band they were pretty essential to replicate keys and other stuff. I had a massive board for that.

Now I'm playing in a big band and I've got a tuner and a compressor.

Whatever the song needs is good for me.

When I played in a functions band with 2 guitars, keys, saxophone, drums, harmonica, vocals and occasionally trumpet and trombone I never used effects. Now that I play in a rock band with guitar, bass, drums and vocals I use a few effects to fill up the sound when the guitarist is soloing, or when specific songs call for it. Horses for courses.

5 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Everyone uses effects... the EQ on the amp is an 'effect'. 

That's a bit like saying the EQ on a bass is an effect, or simply having a preamp on your amp is an "effect", or having coloured speakers...

I think Average Joe bass players like me would certainly not include the above as "effects" and the OP was clearly putting his question in terms of effects pedals.

• Like 1

Just now, The59Sound said:

Why put EQ controls on the amp then? Why not just plug direct into the power amp? Anything used to change your tone is an effect. 

So your pups are an effect? The wood you use is an effect? Your strings are an effect? Whether you play passive or active is an effect?

Or, in your case, do none of these have a bearing on your tone? They certainly do on mine.