Why become a member? ×

Loopy

Geejay

:)
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm checking them all out. One review I read on the Digitech said it would not record and replay without a delay. What I want to be able to do is play a section, say 8 or 12 bars and then loop it and improvise over the top all in a live gigging situation.

Graham

Mine has no noticeable delay switching from record to playback - the Jamman is superb and you can record patches on your computer and transfer them back to the pedal. It's a hunking great piece of metal too so if the boss is more solid then it must be hewn from solid granite! ;-)

there is no delay at all with the jamman, you jsut need to get the hang of it.

I have owned this and he RC20XL. There is no question that the audio quality of the Jamman is better, and on the RC20XL there IS a slight delay after recording the first loop (but not with overdubs).

I cant see any areas where the boss is better at all to be honest. They are both built well.

I suppose you need to try them all out - this is why I bought both on ebay and then sold the boss after extensive testing.

Chris

Does the Digitech allow you to selct how loops end eg fade out, end after the current cycle, etc? A friend of mine uses an RC20XL and it's a nice feature. I still have the original RC20 which is pretty good but my ear/foot co-ordination is sadly lacking!

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='7910' date='May 28 2007, 12:29 AM']Does the Digitech allow you to selct how loops end eg fade out, end after the current cycle, etc? A friend of mine uses an RC20XL and it's a nice feature. I still have the original RC20 which is pretty good but my ear/foot co-ordination is sadly lacking!

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

not totally sure to be honest. I think so, but I have not used this feature. I use it in my Spanish duo - nylon strung guitar, and I double on bass and bylon guitar. We use it to set up rhythm parts, and sometimes bass parts. All done live, we don't pre-record any loops.

[url="http://www.chrispidgeon.co.uk/hsg/audio.htm"]Have a listen here if you are interested[/url] at the bottom of the page to the live center parcs recordings

Edited by nottswarwick

I bought an RC20XL thinking I could use it like the repeat function on a korg pandora (I now realise I`m after a delay pedal), but it has been very usefull. It did take some getting used to and the fact that it has no headphone jack is most annoying (you have to plug it into your amp or similar then use headphones off that). As said it is a very solid pedal and the double pedal makes it much better than the single pedal version.

I`m no virtuoso so I can`t do the amaizing things possible with it, I`m thinking of selling mine so I can buy the twin pedal Boss delay.

[quote name='Alun' post='7910' date='May 27 2007, 11:29 PM']Does the Digitech allow you to selct how loops end eg fade out, end after the current cycle, etc? A friend of mine uses an RC20XL and it's a nice feature. I still have the original RC20 which is pretty good but my ear/foot co-ordination is sadly lacking!

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

I've not found that feature on mine so I'd say not, though I'd love to be proved wrong.

I think the only thing the RC20XL has over the Digitech is the reverse feature which is quite cool.

The DD-20 does also do looping.
Plus points:
Stereo
Headphone socket
Has lots of cool delays as well

Bad points:
You have to hold down a pedal to overdub
No undo
Limited recording time

I'd love a Jam-man but I can't afford one at the moment although my girlfriend has one so I have used it a fair bit. The only reason I use the DD-20 really is because for what I use it for I need stereo.

What I really need is one of these:

Now that's a looper. :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='8508' date='May 29 2007, 10:43 AM']What I really need is one of these:

Now that's a looper. :)[/quote]

I want to try one of these, although I have heard some negative comments about their usability. I did try the single pedal RC-2 today but found just having the one pedal too limiting - far too much double tapping, holding down, etc for my simple brain but still quite impressive that they squished it all into one little box.

Cheers,
Alun

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone.
I'm trying to avoid buying the wrong one. The Akai Headrush gets good reviews on the 'Loopers Delight' website. The Jamman has some very mixed reviews on Harmony Central. Some have had very poor reliability and even dead on arrival with very poor back up by Digitech.

Geejay

[quote name='joegarcia' post='2366' date='May 19 2007, 05:52 PM']Yea, the Digitech Jam Man is way better than the RC20 XL though I reckon. Check one out.[/quote]

The RC20 has a better user interface, IMO.

And, iirc, the jamman has a better sampling rate

Ok... During the month in which I had the RC-20XL, I used it extensively for practise and gigs. There is no delay between the end of your 1st loop and play back. The RC50, however, does. This is because it quantises the three phrases together. There's a patch you can download to allow you to switch between rhythm priority (causing the delay on the 1st loop you record) or sound priority. With sound priority your loop will be flawless, but if you use a rhythm guide - it'll automatically revert to rhythm guide, because well...it needs to.

www.myspace.com/kevcooke listen to Sky High on there

www.isound.com/kev_cooke then on here.

The recording on myspace was done using the RC-20XL and the recording on iSound with the RC50. The sound quality of the RC50 is significantly better.

As for ease of use with the RC50, it's just a case of actually reading the manual, and practising with it for a while. It's got so many features, to expect to be able to just plug in and know where everything is and what it does is just unreasonable I think. Once YOU know what you're doing, it's quite easy to use.