Why become a member? ×

Lindisfarne

Dom in Dorset

I had the pleasure of opening for Lindisfarne last night and what a nice bunch they were! The bass player Ian Thompson was particularly chatty and was intrigued by my bitsa tele bass. He was playing an Epiphone EB3 with a £10 chinese soap bar pickup in the bridge. We talked about the various spare parts we had that may turn into something ebay permitting and our mutual love of Entwistle pickups.
They aren't a band I've paid too much attention to in the past but we stayed and enjoyed the show and popped back stage after to say goodbye. They seemed genuinely pleased that we'd stayed (despite 400 others in the audience) . 
I am pleased to report that they are a thoroughly nice bunch, my faith in humanity is in part restored.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, mikel said:

Great live band. How many of the original lineup are still in it? They played a farewell tour a few years ago called "Time gentlemen please" Surprised they are back for another go.

I think only Rod Clements is an original member but even he left the band for a while. The bass player has been with then 25 years and the others quite a while. Rod was the other really friendly one also interested in Frankenstein instruments.

3 minutes ago, Dom in Somerset said:

I think only Rod Clements is an original member but even he left the band for a while. The bass player has been with then 25 years and the others quite a while. Rod was the other really friendly one also interested in Frankenstein instruments.

Trigger's broom.

7 minutes ago, Dom in Somerset said:

Rod left in the 90s I think. I saw them at Euro 96 and he was then playing guitar. Saw them in the 0s with Jimmy Nail guesting on vocals. Good but never as great as the original shambolic lineup doing the Xmas shows at the City Hall.

2 hours ago, Dom in Somerset said:

...They aren't a band I've paid too much attention to in the past but we stayed and enjoyed the show and popped back stage after to say goodbye. They seemed genuinely pleased that we'd stayed (despite 400 others in the audience) . 
I am pleased to report that they are a thoroughly nice bunch, my faith in humanity is in part restored.

In the years I spent touring with a ska/punk/rock band (doing the sound, then the lights...), this ^^ is what I found to be the general rule. The other bands we crossed paths with, some of 'em national monuments, were Good Eggs, easy to get on with and a 'lorra fun'. I have many memories of some particularly 'interesting' 'afters', despite the advancing years. I surprises me not at all to learn that these fellows are, too, Good Eggs. Good for you; remember to be just as open and friendly when you, too, become world famous. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikel said:

Brilliant, but how would it have felt standing in for Rod with the original lineup????

One can always dream...

Incidentally, Winter Song was on the setlist for this gig too, just acoustic guitar, vocal (neither from Rod) and bass.

Faced with the prospect of playing one of the loveliest bass parts I know with it's originator watching in the wings 20 feet away, it felt right to ask him if he would like to play it instead. He graciously declined.

No pressure, then.

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

One can always dream...

Incidentally, Winter Song was on the setlist for this gig too, just acoustic guitar, vocal (neither from Rod) and bass.

Faced with the prospect of playing one of the loveliest bass parts I know with it's originator watching in the wings 20 feet away, it felt right to ask him if he would like to play it instead. He graciously declined.

No pressure, then.

Was Winter Song originally played on his fretless ?

Those mid to late 70's Christmas shows were some of the best gigs I ever attended at the city hall. Still have the tickets in a box somewhere.

edit . pretty sure Chris Rea was the support act last time I saw them

Edited by jacko