Modded '55 Precision Relic

dadagoboi

Done and shipped to Hamburg.

9rp42Tu.jpg

Big Ferrules!

xNG0PPs.jpg

Tc5ZGBt.jpg

Qew9rZ2.jpg

I procrastinated for a week before destroying a perfectly good finish.  I'd done relics but on factory finishes and it was before I seriously started building. It was fun for a change but probably not something I'll do again.

Edited by dadagoboi
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’m not keen on the whole relic thing either, but that does look cool!

Those pickups appear to be the same size, yet one has a surround that the other does not.  Why?

Also, is Rudolph Rock the model, or something specific to your customer?

This was a 'concept piece', a '55 Precison refinned Candy Apple Red in the late sixties when the pickups from a broken necked '67 Non Reverse Thunderbird were installed. That bass only had a single pickup ring because the neck pickup was located on the pick guard.  It's seen lots of gigs.

The build was for Uli Salm whose stage name is Rudolf Rock.  He owns the Zwick  clubs in Germany and has been part of the Hamburg scene since the early 70s with a number of bands including 'die Shocker' which still performs and just released another record.  I'd built him five basses so when he told me what he wanted I was in.  At this point it's a one off.

This was my last build for Uli. The others were TBird style designs, all with blocked necks. The RR 'signature' was my idea.

hfAKeeK.jpg

Edited by dadagoboi
  • Like 2

On 24/11/2018 at 00:22, Simon. said:

Really smart work! I'm not a huge fan of the reliced look, but this is very nice indeed.

7 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’m not keen on the whole relic thing either, but that does look cool!

Well, that's at least three of us not fans of the relic look...🤨 😣

But, there's no denying you've done a great job to make that bass look well used, really nicely done, and some interesting techniques 👍

• Like 1