Why become a member? ×

Anyone use a Clean boost pedal?

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I use a TC Spectracomp into a Tech 21 VT Bass to achieve a nice saturated tone without fizzy distortion, but there are some times in the set (eg the bass solo in 'substitute') when I could do with increasing the volume a few db but without changing the tone or adding more  distortion. I'm thinking that a TC spark mini after the VT might do the job, but there are  a few other pedals that might be suitable like the Electro harmonix LPB-1 nano and various cheap & cheerful mini pedals in the £15-£25 range.

Can anyone offer any experience/recommendations for a clean boost pedal?

I use the Mooer true bypass clean boost. It’s as clear as a whistle. Got an eq section too. Cheap as chips and perfectly up to task.

This one ... https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/mooer_pure_boost_fx_pedal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5OO0s5zN3gIV1eR3Ch1bbwzHEAkYASABEgITdvD_BwE

Edited by Fionn

As a recovering guitarist, I found a graphic EQ useful for increasing level for solos etc. It’s handy to be able to cut certain frequencies in the boosted signal (bass sounds proportionately louder when the signal is boosted).

I have a cheapie Behringer EQ pedal which works well enough for this purpose. I imagine others will jump in with their own recommendations.

Also, I must add ... with it having a both gain and volume controls, it’s possible to get a very decent overdrive on. Pretty handy having that there at the very tail end of the chain. It gives me post-filter/ modulation dirt options (all my other distortion is in front of the filters/ modulation). 

I’ve found it to be a surprisingly versatile little piece of kit. It has added breadth to my palette, sure ... and I only set out for a clean boost 

I use a Joyo Roll Boost. Cheap and cheerful but built like a tank and gives up to a frankly insane +35dB boost should you for any reason ever want to push the front end of a tube amp to face-melting levels. 

Used at more moderate settings though it's a very nice, clean and transparent boost. 

On 11/11/2018 at 20:43, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I use a TC Spectracomp into a Tech 21 VT Bass to achieve a nice saturated tone without fizzy distortion, but there are some times in the set (eg the bass solo in 'substitute') when I could do with increasing the volume a few db but without changing the tone or adding more  distortion. I'm thinking that a TC spark mini after the VT might do the job, but there are  a few other pedals that might be suitable like the Electro harmonix LPB-1 nano and various cheap & cheerful mini pedals in the £15-£25 range.

Can anyone offer any experience/recommendations for a clean boost pedal?

As it happens I use a TC Spectracomp into a VT Bass for exactly the same reason, and I have a TC Spark Mini after it.  It sounds good to me and I don't notice any colouration.

I built a clone of the EH LPB-1 (don't know how accurate the circuit was) but didn't like it with bass - doesn't seem to have the headroom of the Spark and distorted quite a bit as I recall.  I do like it for driving the front of a valve amp with guitar, but that's not the question you asked!

Ive been using the TCE Spectradrive for Comp and clean boost. The Spectracomp side is as expected. The OD tone print side has a clean boost patch that sounds really nice to my ears. No real added dirt unless you set the gain high. Its called 'Clean boost'.

So i have that and the Spectracomp in one box, with a nice bit of EQ as well.

• 1 month later...

Another suggestion: the TC Rush Booster from their 'Smorgasbord of Tone' range.

I really like the form factor of these pedals: since all the sockets are on the far end, they actually take up about the same width on your pedalboard as the usual 'mini' pedals (with right-angled jacks sticking out of each side), but are more stable because the box itself is wider.
The Rush Booster is very simple: a single 'boost' control with up to 20dB of clean boost.
Also very cheap: currently about £29 at all the usual big online shops.

I haven't got one, but online reviews seem to be good. If what you want is purely a clean boost, there's perhaps less subjective judgement required than is the case with most other types of pedal?

I've used an EQ pedal and MXR micro amp in the past to match my fretless volume to my fretted.  Both did a good job and can be bought used quite cheaply.  These days I don't use 2 basses on gig very often and the volume difference is actually quite small so I just roll with it.  Usually the fretless is used on quieter songs anyway, and if we have PA support the sound guys sorts it anyway.