Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB project - wiring advice/pickup dilemma

NorthSands

I've got a '65 EB0 which has been terribly butchered in a former life - think bizarre, unexplainable routing, a switchcraft XLR in place of jack for starters. Let's not mention the neck repair... Finally starting a restoration on it, and I'm after some thoughts on pickup options.

I have an all original '68 EB3 for stock EB sounds and would like this project to end up with a different set of tonal options - nearer the punchy P bass end of the spectrum, as much as a mahogany body will allow anyway. Sacrilege to some I realise, but this EB is in such a terrible way, I can't feel bad about it.

So, what are my options? Has anyone experienced successfully changing pickups in an EB? Web research has proven inconclusive. I'm not limited on pickup positioning due to the current routing. My initial hopes would be to have two '51 P bass pickups (a la Ronnie Lane's Zemaitis) but the string spacing is unfortunately incorrect other than having one of these right next to the bridge.

Any thoughts, comments, abuse welcome! :D

Edited by NorthSands
title changed

My initial thought would have been to pop a DiMarzio Model One into the place of the original mudbucker. I made this change to my Epi EB3 and it tightened up the low-end woof nicely - more recently I extended the wiring to coil-tap it, which has made it even more versatile.

But then you mentioned that you already have an EB3 for those sounds. Perhaps, if the '51 Precisions aren't a workable option, a couple of those Danelectro style 'lipstick' pickups might do the trick? I think I'm right in saying they won't be affected by the string spacing...

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 13:26, EliasMooseblaster said:

My initial thought would have been to pop a DiMarzio Model One into the place of the original mudbucker. I made this change to my Epi EB3 and it tightened up the low-end woof nicely - more recently I extended the wiring to coil-tap it, which has made it even more versatile.

But then you mentioned that you already have an EB3 for those sounds. Perhaps, if the '51 Precisions aren't a workable option, a couple of those Danelectro style 'lipstick' pickups might do the trick? I think I'm right in saying they won't be affected by the string spacing...

Great shout on the Dano lipstick pickups, will investigate further...

On 12/11/2018 at 12:29, ikay said:

This interview with Mike Watt might give you some ideas - http://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/mikewatt3.php

Great stuff, cheers!