Why become a member? ×

Standing a cab on top of a flight case

joeystrange

I’m thinking of buying a flight case for my head. It’s a Fender Bassman and as the knobs stick out a fair way they’re easily damaged during transport etc. I know this as ir happened to my previous Bassman.

I’m currently using a 4x10 so I’m thinking of standing this on top of the flight case at gigs to raise it a bit (I do miss my old 8x10!). 

I’ve no doubt that this will affect the sound somehow but I’d like to know how much and on what way. I’d also like to hear whether anyone has done this and what their opinion is.

Thanks!

Edited by joeystrange

Think there was previous thread on here about this not long ago. I remarked that I prefer the cab to be on the floor, liking the coupling / additional bottom end you get from most stages. Others disliked this, and said it was better for them having the cab nearer ear level etc. Even having the cab ( GK Neo 410 in my case ) on it’s own castors does seem to change the sound, and having yours a lot higher up on a flight case will undoubtedly alter your perception of what’s going on - you may even prefer it! Case of trial and error I think really, let us know how you get on!

I have a Boschma plastic utility case that I sometimes place my cab on. My cab is on 4" castors anyway so including the fittings etc normally 5 " off the floor, whereas on the case it`s about 10" off. Doesn`t really seem to make that much difference to my ears but I suppose that I have to take into account that I have a trebly/twangy/driven sound rather than a warm bassy sound, so any coupling of floor/bassiness wouldn`t be to my liking anyway.

Edited by Lozz196

3 hours ago, joeystrange said:

That’s good to hear. So you didn’t get any low end loss or boominess?

You won't lose any bottom end, and if anything boom will be reduced. You might lose some low end with am open stand that high, but the solid front of the case acts as an extension to the baffle to prevent it.

Not sure if I've read this wrong, but it looks to me like the OP was asking about putting the cab on the floor as normal, then putting the flightcase for the head on the cab, and then the head on top of the flightcase..... and then folks are answering as if he was talking about getting a flightcase for the cab, putting that on the floor, and then the cab on the flightcase.....?

1 minute ago, stoo said:

Not sure if I've read this wrong, but it looks to me like the OP was asking about putting the cab on the floor as normal, then putting the flightcase for the head on the cab, and then the head on top of the flightcase..... and then folks are answering as if he was talking about getting a flightcase for the cab, putting that on the floor, and then the cab on the flightcase.....?

Actually, it was just really badly written and everyone answered in the way I intended. It’s the cab that I want to put on top of the flight case.

I’ve edited the post, thanks for pointing it out!

11 hours ago, joeystrange said:

Actually, it was just really badly written and everyone answered in the way I intended. It’s the cab that I want to put on top of the flight case.

I’ve edited the post, thanks for pointing it out!

Fair enough - happy days!

Every time I have had a flightcase I've always placed the cab on top of it. It's never vibrated off or been unsteady and if anything sounds better (perhaps because I can hear it better at that angle I've not needed to drive it so hard).

The only reason why I don't now is because my osteopath suggested that at my age I should probably be using lightweight gear and stop trying to be a hero!

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Every time I have had a flightcase I've always placed the cab on top of it. It's never vibrated off or been unsteady and if anything sounds better (perhaps because I can hear it better at that angle I've not needed to drive it so hard).

The only reason why I don't now is because my osteopath suggested that at my age I should probably be using lightweight gear and stop trying to be a hero!

I remember your Orange set-up Tim, sounded great and if recall correctly that was flightcased?