Why become a member? ×

szegedi hangszergyar double bass 1965
£900

For anyone who cares, ‘hangszergyar’ is hungarian for ‘musical instrument factory’. Szeged is the name of the city where these were made. The factory was Hungary’s only musical instrument manufacturer, and lasted from the 50s to 2003. They also made furniture and other wood related things, and were regarded as a good quality manufacturer. They went out of business partly because western products became available after the fall of the iron curtain for those that could afford them, and partly because post-communism, their business depended on USA exports, which dwindled and were eventually replaced by cheap chinese instruments of a much lower quality. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  I had to chip in, as I bought a more or less identical bass about 6 months ago and I'm thrilled with it.  Looks like yours came off the assembly line a few months after mine:

IMG_5469.thumb.jpg.395114064bf8b9e7893a6c9d6b6b29ea.jpg

The bass has a really warm, consistent tone with plenty of sustain, right up the neck, and acquits itself well for both arco and pizz.  I've strung mine with EP Weichs and I think it's fair to say it's most likely a cut above any double bass you'll find for less than a grand.

Good luck with the sale David.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry again unrelated but I believe I have just got my hands on one of these. Label inside is different but shape, tuners and everything is identical. A lovely bass in a very pale brown/blonde. Needs a new bridge but is beautiful instrument!