Why become a member? ×

US "touring band" gets found out in Bristol

uk_lefty

This is the sort of stinky poo my ex-bandleader would have thought up. He decided it'd be a great idea to pen a review of his own album launch gig and post it on a local music forum under a pseudonym. Sir Richard Head III... 

Thing is, if this chap was studying art, he'd probably get an A for it. It reminds me of the time that a whole bunch of students faked blowing their student loans on a huge holiday. They shared memories of their "trip" on social media and all of a sudden the news got hold of it and blew the whole thing out of proportion. Everyone was up arms with them wasting "tax payers money" and all the usual stuff that comes out about students being wasters.

If only. I hope he's doing the same to show how easy it is to manipulate on social media. 

Looking at this from the other side though, it highlights the difficulties that any new originals band has in getting any recognition / support, Yodaclub have a record company showcase gig next Friday in Leicester, we currently have 777 all genuine likes on Facebook, we get loads of comments on how good we are, I will bet you that we will have less than 10 people turn out to see us play, why, because Leicester is not our home town, tickets are £6.00 in advance and "New: Masterchef Australia is on W, that has got to be better than going out and supporting an unsigned band, still I am sure there will be a bunch of tribute bands playing the same night that will be far better attended!

Rant....me....never!   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Looking at this from the other side though, it highlights the difficulties that any new originals band has in getting any recognition / support, Yodaclub have a record company showcase gig next Friday in Leicester, we currently have 777 all genuine likes on Facebook, we get loads of comments on how good we are, I will bet you that we will have less than 10 people turn out to see us play, why, because Leicester is not our home town, tickets are £6.00 in advance and "New: Masterchef Australia is on W, that has got to be better than going out and supporting an unsigned band, still I am sure there will be a bunch of tribute bands playing the same night that will be far better attended!

Rant....me....never!   

Unfortunately it's very easy to 'Like' a band on facebook. Actually going to see them takes more effort.

• Like 3

I think in this case it was a delusional fantasist that set up the tour. Goodness knows how he even managed to catch a flight. Glad the venue's pre warned others but it doesn't do the local reputation of the venue any good that basically any delusional idiot can book them for the night regardless of whether they're capable of carrying a tune in a bucket. And I'm sorry but a foreign act you e never heard of with loads of Facebook likes (irrelevant if all those likes are abroad/ not around your  area) and you've not checked them out before letting them book the venue?? Bit of due diligence required I think! 

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

Rant....me....never!   

Where's the gig?

There are still aspects of this story that I'm struggling to get my head round. So this chap evidently has some material online - all the articles I've read have mentioned music videos in which you can't properly see the "crowd" he's playing to, while simultaneously playing all the instruments on each track. It sounds like he thought he could buy a following through various dubious Facebook schemes, and doubtless got a lot of clicks from some people in Brazil.

But at what point did this stop being delusion and become a deliberate attempt to deceive? Surely he wasn't stupid enough to know that 180 tickets had not actually been sold, despite the number of earnest Brazilians telling FB they would attend a gig in Bristol? The article mentions a tour manager who was with him, so were they both in on the scam? Did they know that the interest was all fake, and is this simply part of an elaborate ruse to get outraged articles into local news and get us talking about his awful music?

Or...has he actually been blinded by the dopamine hit of so many "likes" on his FB page that he's started to believe his own hype, (even though only 26 people tuned in to his music last month on Spotify) and a promotion company (conveniently left behind in Hollywood) decided to pocket a few quid by cynically taking advantage of his delusion?

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's having a chuckle at our expense as we read these articles, aghast, but then life has also taught me not to underestimate just how stupid and deluded some people are capable of being...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

It's gone national, as someone ( @Cato ) predicted on the other thread!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/12/threatin-band-fake-fanbase-tour

:)

I just went to peruse the front page, and noticed he's now made it onto the front page of the Graun. I'm beginning to suspect this is what he was hoping for all along...

• Like 1