Why become a member? ×

Insecurity? Pah. Incoming NBD

Bridgehouse

So what do I think?

I’ve put some TI’s on it. I was going to put Chromes on but decided to try TIs first.

Didn’t have to tweak the rod (phew - no cracked necks :crazy:)

It’s the lowest action I’ve had on a bass. It’s sitting at just over a mm on the B and about .7 on the G. Very very little fret buzz at all until you dig in (with fingers) which I would expect. Cor. Never thought it would sit this low action wise and be as playable. 

It sounds very P bass, as expected - and I have a bass with the p-retro Preamp in so knew exactly what to expect. 

As for fives - a bit like the fretless, I’ve realised I’m just not adventurous in my playing and trying stuff as I should be - feels natural and easy to get on with and I reckon after an hour or so it will be second nature. Should have got one ages ago - go figure. 

Alan really has surpassed himself. Love the body shape, the neck is astonishingly good and it’s the sort of fit and finish that you expect at the very highest price point. Sorry @CameronJ but I doubt this one is going anywhere fast.. 

Been in two minds about an ACG and wondered if they are worth going for? Don’t hesitate at all. They are simply sublime. 

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1

I’ve had some more time with it now. 

Stuck some Chromes on as I generally prefer them on P style basses. Yup. Prefer them on this too. More thump, more zing (well as much as flats can give!) and tighter so just feel a lot more accurate and direct to me.

The 4 to 5 thing seems odd. I kinda don’t notice it. Hmmm. I guess I’m odd. 

The neck really is a revelation. It’s actually not that much wider than my 64P, but it feels very different - and it’s very easy to play. It’s sort of like an asymmetric, slightly thinner (front to back) stingray neck, with less radius. 

Sound wise it has that P thump, but it sound so much more Hifi than a standard P and really has something special going on. In passive mode with the tone rolled off its right in P bass territory, but in active with some treble and bass boost it’s got a sparkle that you don’t get on a P

The B seems to be tight and defined - it’s got great clarity to it. Feels about the same weight as my 64 - slightly more than the Finn 4 but not by much. Balance is just fine. 

All in all I couldn’t be happier. Alan has done a brilliant job with the RetroB of capturing everything that makes a P bass so usable, but at the same time adding something a bit different to make it feel like it’s adding to the formula rather than taking away. 

My only worry is that I will miss that B on my 4’s now, and I’m wondering if a fretless 5 is in the offing. I can see the Finn 4 getting replaced live, and I can see a fretless 5 in my future. I can also see a lot of dusty 4’s getting little use.. Urk!

On 10/11/2018 at 15:16, Bridgehouse said:

Following the Shuker becoming sick (off to hospital for surgery on Monday) Mrs B felt a new bass might make me feel better. 

I'm always amazed when people say this. Mrs 4000 would sooner wrestle crocodiles in quicksand than encourage me to buy a new bass. She has a right sulk whenever the subject crops up. 

1 minute ago, 4000 said:

I'm always amazed when people say this. Mrs 4000 would sooner wrestle crocodiles in quicksand than encourage me to buy a new bass. She has a right sulk whenever the subject crops up. 

Mrs B knows that if I get basses then I’m not a grumpy git. Seems to work :)

Mrs Travis doesn’t care what comes and goes generally...but

The White Jazz would cost me my gentleman’s vegetables if I sold it...she has said my pecker would meet the kitchen knife if it went.

She loved the custom shop 55 I had and said she’s never forgiven me - so if one comes up and the cash is spare, I’m to buy another.

Wal custom order going in for 40th (in a few years) on her coin too.

Edited by AndyTravis

I think Mrs 4000 would run round the house cheering if I sold mine. Most of my girlfriends have had a bit of an issue with my basses. My first serious one, otherwise thoroughly rational, said she was jealous of them. Although I suppose I do love my main bass more than anything except my cat. 

As for her buying me a bass, it'll be a cold day in hell....

Edited by 4000