Why become a member? ×

Insecurity? Pah. Incoming NBD

Bridgehouse

Following the Shuker becoming sick (off to hospital for surgery on Monday) Mrs B felt a new bass might make me feel better. 

Decided it’s time to do a 5er. I’ve been chatting to Alan at ACG and he’s got a couple of options which look superb. 

Being an insecure chap I just thought I’d check - I’m not going to turn in to a prog rock long haired muso or a nicely suited Jazz muso if I get a 5er am I?

TIA

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i was just looking at the two 5 strings listed on Alan's website and was thinking maybe you were going for the RetroB J5 which is very pretty but that bass you've gone for is gorgeous! which preamp has it got?

i played a couple of ACG's at a bass bash a few years ago, i wish i'd bought one when i had the money.

Matt

Just now, Matt P said:

i was just looking at the two 5 strings listed on Alan's website and was thinking maybe you were going for the RetroB J5 which is very pretty but that bass you've gone for is gorgeous! which preamp has it got?

i played a couple of ACG's at a bass bash a few years ago, i wish i'd bought one when i had the money.

Matt

It’s the John East P-Retro which I have in my Finn 4 and love it - simple, but enough control to really shape the sound, and a proper passive no battery mode

ok now i'm really jealous! i think that's pretty much the exact spec i'd go for (especially if it's 18mm string spacing)  the website says the single pickup versions are currently discontinued. I've been thinking of a P-retro for my Letts 5 string for a while but they're not listed for sale anywhere and i'm totally broke ( and probably will be until my son moves from nursery to school and we stop paying a small fortune in childcare every month)

Matt

2 minutes ago, Matt P said:

ok now i'm really jealous! i think that's pretty much the exact spec i'd go for (especially if it's 18mm string spacing)  the website says the single pickup versions are currently discontinued. I've been thinking of a P-retro for my Letts 5 string for a while but they're not listed for sale anywhere and i'm totally broke ( and probably will be until my son moves from nursery to school and we stop paying a small fortune in childcare every month)

Matt

I’m pretty certain Alan would sort you a P-Retro - if he didn’t have any then John East will definitely make you one - he’s an absolute gent to deal with.

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

I’m pretty certain Alan would sort you a P-Retro - if he didn’t have any then John East will definitely make you one - he’s an absolute gent to deal with.

yeah i know that if i ask the right people then i could get a P-Retro, unfortunately until i get my overdraft cleared and then a decent way back into the black it just isn't a sensible option right now, i'm doing my best to only buy the absolute necessities every month and maybe this time next year i'll have enough spare cash to make the phone call. i've had a pretty expensive time over the last 2 years, (redundancy 2 months before my son was born, a total of 4 months with no income and now a job that pays less than the old one but with about 50% less stress)

i've just read that last paragraph to check it for spelling errors and it reads liker a sob story! i'm actually about 200% happier than i was 3 years ago! and not buying new gear has meant i've spent more time playing and my technique and musical knowledge is also significantly better than it was!

Matt

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Nobody? 

Ok - this is coming next week...

dHAEr7S.jpg

Gah! I had the pleasure of playing that very bass at this year’s LBGS - was an absolute dream and I’ve had many a sleepless, GAS filled night lusting after it since. I was under the impression it had sold, otherwise I would have considered buying it myself!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Gah! I had the pleasure of playing that very bass at this year’s LBGS - was an absolute dream and I’ve had many a sleepless, GAS filled night lusting after it since. I was under the impression it had sold, otherwise I would have considered buying it myself!

Apparently not - and I didn’t know it was available until Alan said it was! I must admit the formula of a RetroB in P guise with a John East Preamp was just far too tempting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Apparently not - and I didn’t know it was available until Alan said it was! I must admit the formula of a RetroB in P guise with a John East Preamp was just far too tempting. 

Agreed. If you ever think of selling, give me a shout 😬

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Matt P said:

've just read that last paragraph to check it for spelling errors and it reads liker a sob story! i'm actually about 200% happier than i was 3 years ago! and not buying new gear has meant i've spent more time playing and my technique and musical knowledge is also significantly better than it was!

Off topic, but very pleased for you, Matt. I was laid off ten years ago along with some close friends and i know first hand and from seeing how others struggled that your outlook and attitude on these things shapes so much more than just what next job you get. Glad you've got a happy story there, made me a little warm inside!

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Looking forward to it! I’ve been so happy with my Finn 4 that another ACG was a no brainer to be honest

They're all I've played for years. I still suffer from GAS, every day, but only really for more ACGs...

• Like 1