Why become a member? ×

Auditioning New Band Members

PatrickJ

How do you guys audition / select new band members?

Our band is looking for a new singer! 

Through JMB and Gumtree I've got a few people I'd like to audition but having never done this before  I'm not sure what the standard approach is.

I'll have 3 or 4 people to see and I was thinking of perhaps asking them to learn 2 or 3 songs off our standard set list.  We normally rehearse 8-10pm, so perhaps have one come at 815 for 30 mins and one at 915 and doing this over a couple of weeks .

Is this a sensible fairly typical approach?

If the auditioning singers are available on the same night then that is a fairly sensible idea. if you have the flexibility I would probably go for one singer per night, to allow for (a) more time to try out the singer if you are initially impressed or (b) more time to discuss the awfulness of the singer if they are terrible. 

Good luck!

Sounds about right, it's a little different with singers cos' of keys so a bit of communication re keys may be in order. 

Past experience would compel me to speak to them before hand about what they are expecting re commitment and money and explain what we would be wanting from them.

That way your're not wasting each others time if your both on totally different wavelengths but I would say the mechanics of what you have in mind are good.

Les

Thanks for the advice thus far. I'm definitely checking them out before hand through e-mail conversations and asking for some sort of recording.  I want to avoid a complete disaster.  I'm also showing them some rehearsal videos of us along with sample set lists so they know what they are getting into.. 

• Like 1

I might be inclined to try and arrange the rehearsals over a couple of days rather than weeks. I only say that because the first two will be waiting for a while to learn the outcome. Can you not set up something for a single day, extend the rehearsal?

Definitely keep them apart and a restricted time is a good plan to avoid any embarrassment.

In the time suggested I would think you'd only be doing 2 songs (after introductions etc) but I'd give them the two songs but check the keys with each of them. You want to compare them with the same material.

2 singers auditioning in a 2 hr rehearsal slot might run into probs if 1st one is a bit late and 2nd one a bit early. 

Be upfront with them all on how many are being auditioned.

I turned up early as i always do for a bass audition. I was 4th bassist in a 3 hr slot. 1st guy was done and dusted, 2nd guy was late holding things up so he was just finishing his last song when i turned up and the 3rd guy was on before me. I was asked to wait in the kitchen, gave me a chance to hear the competition. I took the best bits from them and combined with what i was planning to do so i knew exactly what would work. I got offered the job after about 2 weeks.

Had it been 2 singers in 3 hr slot i would have said ok.

Normally its word of mouth for me these days but most auditions i've done over the years i've been the bassist for the full rehearsal and asked to learn 3 or 4 songs. I always learn few more and we run thru them. Then gives you time to relax a bit with the band and see how you get on. 

I'm not a fan of the half hour slot, come in set up, play, get out and we'll let you know. The example above i was last bassist that night and i ended up jamming some other songs with the band as we got on really well.

I'm afraid i've never been involved in auditioning a singer so not sure if that makes a difference or not ?

Dave

Even if you don't do the 30 minute slot thing, still tell the auditionees that they have a time limit rather than make it open ended. Then if you don't like someone you can get rid of them without any awkwardness. Easier to say we can't carry on because we're out of time rather than we don't want to carry on because you're rubbish. If you do like them, just say the next person has cancelled and ask if they want to stay a bit longer. 

Edited by spike
spelling
  • Like 4

Very puzzled by the suggestions that you should only ask the singer to prepare two songs.

Unless you're doing originals or very obscure covers, any decent singer should have no trouble at all prepping at least a dozen songs ... all he/she needs to learn is the melody, the rest is down to how they present the song.

If you ask each singer to turn up at a 2-hour slot having prepped two songs, you'd better hope they're also a great conversationalist, since you're going to be spending three quarters of the 'audition' just chatting.

You could start the weeding-out process by asking each applicant how many songs they would like to prep. I would discard anyone who only wanted to do two!

• Like 3

The main thing is to be sure you know what you are looking for, that applies to any audition and pretty much any job interview.

A new singer is probably the most disruptive thing that can happen to most bands. If they sound good the whole band sounds good and if they aren't it won't matter how well the rest of you play audiences won't enjoy what you do. On top of that voices are far less flexible than most instruments. Capo-ing a singers neck is probably illegal :)  Is it important to you to keep your current set? If so then you really ought to put them through their paces with the whole vocal range of your songs. We've had singers who have struggled with fast articulation (lots of words in the line) some where the lower range is weaker other where top notes are the problem, you need to think about what is important to you as a band and pick out some songs which will explore this at the audition.

Then you need to find out if these people will be good to have in the band, that isn't just about how charming and friendly they are, most of us can do that for an hour or so if pushed. Are they going to practice before rehearsals? That'd be one of my criteria so I'd want at least one song they are unlikely to have sung before, you'll soon see who is blagging and who is prepared. Again what is important to you?

You also want to be fair to them and see them at their best. It'd be a shame to pass up on the next Freddie Mercury because you didn't let them show what they can do! Let them choose at least one song, maybe it will have to be from your set list or sung with just a simple accompaniment so the whole band don't have to learn a new song for each singer. 

So go through a list of things that are essential to you and things you think are desirable and make sure your audition songs will give you the chance to explore that. Also make sure the band are ready, I've gone to auditions with agreed songs to find out half the band members don't really know the songs or haven't played them for years and have done zero preparation.

Good Luck

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Also make sure the band are ready, I've gone to auditions with agreed songs to find out half the band members don't really know the songs or haven't played them for years and have done zero preparation.

Absolutely this ^. It's ridiculously common for the auditioning band to be less familiar with the song they have chosen than the auditioner, who will have spent a lot of time actually getting it right.

"I think you'll find it goes to the solo after that verse ..."

• Like 1

What time are you leaving for your world tour? ... What's the hurry? ... It takes ten mins to hire a singer and two years to get rid of one. ... I'd say give them all an evening. ... Then everyone gets comfortable. ... Nerves are dangerous things. ... I've done auditions when there was a line in and out the door and ones where they respected me and commited to a decent listen. ... What if you hire the third one after he's listened to the first two singers mistakes, and just manipulated you into thinking he was the best because he didn't repeat those same mistakes. ... Then, a week later, he's got you all voting for a name change, with his in front. ...

Probably not related but when I'd just left school (back in the 80s) me and a drummer were trying to get a trio going for pub gigs and such and decided to interview some guitarist / singers. We decided to do this in my front room rather than splashing out on a rehearsal studio (we were skint at the time, having just left school). Anyway, this fella turns up, nice enough bloke with his missus in tow. Me and him are discussing the set list during which time the drummer farted. Now I dunno about you, but I've got a real toilet sense of humour and this just happened to give me the giggles. It wasn't a rip-roarer, it was one of them ones where when you hear it, you aren't sure if it actually was a fart or a noisy chair.

I looked at him, and by the grin he was trying to stifle I knew the b*stard had farted. Anyway, I'm starting get get the giggles now and I can hear him trying to cover up his giggling too. Meanwhile, the bloke and his missus are completely oblivious and he's carrying on talking about the setlist songs and gigs etc. The only thing I can liken it to was the scene from the Life of Brian where he's going on about Biggus Dickus.

Eventually, to remove myself from the situation I offer to make teas and run out into the kitchen where the tears are rolling down my face not only at the thought of the drummer farting but of him having to try and sit there conversing with this fella about the band. I'm bent over double laughing my b*llocks off when I turn round and he's stood next to me in the kitchen holding his knackers so as he doesn't wet himself from laughing, tears pouring down his face. We were there for a good 3 or 4 minutes not saying a word, just laughing - at one point I thought I was going to have a coronary.

Anyway, we then realise we can't just leave them both in the front room on their own so I say to him that he's got to go back in and keep them entertained, as I'm supposed to be making tea. We then start arguing over who has to go back, in-between long gusts of stifled laughter. He eventually agrees but just before he goes to head back he laughs again and a huge jet of snot shoots out of his nose. That's it for me, I'm on the floor like an immobilised cockroach hardly able to breathe from laughing and he's on his knees, with more tears, snot and dribble coming out of his mouth. Another few minutes and we eventually compose ourselves.

The next twenty minutes were hell. I couldn't look at the drummer because I know what'd happen. I dunno what this guitarist and his missus thought but they never came back again. I wonder why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

One word of caution which has nothing to do with logistics or any such dull practicalities: when auditioning singers, always bear in mind that on the self-awareness scale of Confidently Realistic to Barkingly Delusional, you're looking at a role which is even more prone to the latter the lead guitards... 

Don't forget to record and share the more a*se-clenching bits...anonymously, of course... 🙂

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Probably not related but ...

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: 

Luckily I've not a cuppa in hand, or you'd be owing me a keyboard and screen. Many thanks; I've sincerely not laughed so much in years, and never at reading stuff on t'web. It's taken me a couple of minutes to type this; the tears clouded my vision. I'm still giggling, myself, just remembering what I've just read. Thanks again; you've made my day (and probably week, too...). :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: 

Luckily I've not a cuppa in hand, or you'd be owing me a keyboard and screen. Many thanks; I've sincerely not laughed so much in years, and never at reading stuff on t'web. It's taken me a couple of minutes to type this; the tears clouded my vision. I'm still giggling, myself, just remembering what I've just read. Thanks again; you've made my day (and probably week, too...). :i-m_so_happy:

Whatever you're going through now, is minor in comparison to what it was like being there. Honestly, my sides hurt for ages afterwards 😪

• Haha 1

my experience of auditioning singers:

Roughly 2/3rds of people who reply to your ad will never have sung in a band before, and at least 2/3rds (not necessarily that same 2/3rds) will not actually be able to sing.  X-Factor has a lot to answer for.  In itself the lack of experience is not necessarily a bad thing, but I've seen more than a couple of people trying out who could hold a tune when singing along to a CD, but didn't have the skills to sing with a loud, live band.

The YouTube point made earlier is a good one.  While it doesn't necessarily solve everything, the amount of not very good singers who post stuff is, frankly, amazing, and can be weeded out at that stage rather than having to waste a rehearsal.  You may need to be quite direct in letting them down...I did once try a "you're not exactly what we're looking for, it's us not you" reply and got pestered for weeks by the singer who clearly thought he was brilliant and wouldn't take no for an answer.  I tend to have a bit of sympathy for those who do not have recordings, just in case they're excellent and simply haven't been in a position to post anything, but you might reasonably take a different view

My own preference is to arrange for two or three to come down on the same night.  Expect at least one of them to cancel on the day...

Allocate them, say, 45 minutes, but tell them they only have half an hour.  At least one of them will not be able to sing and you'll be very grateful for the excuse of needing to get them out of the door because somebody else is waiting, but if you manage to find a good one, you can extend things.

Pick two or three tracks, make sure they have good copies of any originals and all the lyrics.  If it's covers then let them pick from your list, if it's originals, perhaps throw them a cover of two that the band knows which they may be more comfortable with.  My preferred method is to play everything at least twice, once to get warmed up, know the structure and hear how the band plays it live.  But if a contestant has had the songs for a week or two and can't get the structure, or sings over the guitar solo, then that's a flat No from me.

Finally, record everything.  One thing I have found is that different band members can "hear" things completely differently, depending on where they are standing, how much they are concentrating on their playing, etc.  While a great singer should be obvious, I've been in bands that had serious disagreements about whether more marginal singers were good or bad that were solved by listening back to the recordings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1