Why become a member? ×

Vester Clipper II new pickups

brianthebass

Hiya all - I have a Vester Clipper II 5 string bass - they are cheap and cheerful but I love the fret board, action and lightness of it - I am wondering if a pair of new pickups would improve the tone and overall sound of the instrument - I have a more expensive 5 string which sound deep and rich in tone but keep going back to the Vester for it's feel - I play rock and blues through a Hiwatt 200w valve head and a 2 x 15 enclosure and have around 50 gigs per year - any ideas please? Thanks

Upgrading pickups are almost always the single best way of massively improving tone /response of an electric instrument.   

With the Clipper being a Warwick "clone" I guess EMG's or MECS's would be appropriate, but my choice would be Bartolini's - they just seem to work great in any bass.   A decent active circuit upgrade  (pretty cheap these days) would then get the best out of the pickups.

They look like nice basses, and anything through that Hiwatt is gonna sound huge! :i-m_so_happy:

11 minutes ago, brianthebass said:

the Vester is already an active bass with all the wiring in place

Yes, that was the point - the original circuit might be perfectly acceptable; but if you're going to fit high grade pickups then  something like an East circuit is going to complement the pickups to get the very best tone out of them.    As there no rush, you'll get boutique bargainaceous gear here on BC for the price of generic new  - I had some Barts on here for peanuts that I put into an MB1 Squier P/J that absolutely transformed it into a bass as good as any big-name equivalent.