Why become a member? ×

Strap to cure neck dive on a Jack Casady.

dave_bass5

Ive just got the above bass, and very nice it is too. Ill post more about it later, but this thread is about finding a nice wide, grippy strap. 

Can anyone suggest a strap that is wide, at least 3’’, and has maybe a suede or rough lining that will grip my clothes well. I dont want to spend silly money on a leather strap that costs about £100. 

I am changing the bridge, but dont want to change the tuners just yet, so its just a strap that i want. 

This looks like it would work, but I’d like other suggestions before i order. .

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/levys-m4-brg/80828

Cheers. 

Edited by dave_bass5

The neck dive on the Jack Casady is quite something isn't it ? I tried a few straps and then ended up threading a loop of thin string around one of the bridge posts and then running the  strap from the strap button, through the loop and then onto my shoulder. By tightening the loop you can bring the anchor point of the strap onto the front of the bass, which help anchor it so it doens't dive so much.

Does that make sense ?

Thanks for the suggestuioin. Ill look in to doing something like that if i find the dive too much. I’m ok with it when playing but yes, it’s annoying when i stop. As its very early days i might find it to be a non issue once i get used to it and might find the right strap to help it, but I’m surprised JC let this one go as i know he was quite involved with the design. 

You'd be hard-pressed to find a hollow-bodied bass that doesn't neck-dive,  as the neck simply weighs a lot more that the hollow body, although Epiphone don't do themselves any favours with the traditional spade-as-headstock idea :)

I hate neck diving basses with a passion - I only put up with the JC as it sounds so damn good !

Edited by ahpook

Yep, pretty much my reason for keeping this bass. Already had to glue a bridge  post back in and  paid almost £100 to get a new bridge.

If this was any other bass it would have gone back, but as I know these issues are common it’s live with them or miss out on what I hear as a fantastic tone, and one I’ve bever had before. 

I’ve got the wide strap arriving Monday, plus I’ll have my radio transmitter on it, and I’ll use a heavy patch lead with it. I’m hoping that, and the new bridge will be enough, but I’ll sill look in to changing. The tuners as well. 

Got its first outing on Monday night so I’ll know if it’s a gigable bass then. 

On 10/11/2018 at 19:03, dave_bass5 said:

Yep, pretty much my reason for keeping this bass. Already had to glue a bridge  post back in and  paid almost £100 to get a new bridge.

If this was any other bass it would have gone back, but as I know these issues are common it’s live with them or miss out on what I hear as a fantastic tone, and one I’ve bever had before. 

I’ve got the wide strap arriving Monday, plus I’ll have my radio transmitter on it, and I’ll use a heavy patch lead with it. I’m hoping that, and the new bridge will be enough, but I’ll sill look in to changing. The tuners as well. 

Got its first outing on Monday night so I’ll know if it’s a gigable bass then. 

Good luck,  and let is know how you get on.

Cheers. ironically just after i got despatch confirmation of the strap from amazon i found a nice matching red  2.5" suede Levy's strap at home attached to my sons guitar. This works fine although its a bit short. The new one is about 1" shorter so i might need to re think this. Seems almost impossible to find the extra long versions in the UK.

Ill take both straps tonight and see how it goes.

I have a long leather strap with a nice grippy underside that I bought specifically to use with a Casady bass, but no longer have the bass. I haven't used it since selling the JCB, so it has been sitting upstairs unused and unloved. I sure I could be persuaded to part with it ;)

On 12/11/2018 at 10:06, FinnDave said:

I have a long leather strap with a nice grippy underside that I bought specifically to use with a Casady bass, but no longer have the bass. I haven't used it since selling the JCB, so it has been sitting upstairs unused and unloved. I sure I could be persuaded to part with it ;)

Thanks but the new Levy's strap was just perfect last night. Well, the bass didnt dip much, but because of the grip it did ruffle my T-shirt a bit lol.

I also came away with a sore red patch on my right forearm when i was resting it on the edge of the body. Not too worried at the moment but it was uncomfortable at the time. Hopefully i wont get too many long sets to play.

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thanks but the new Levy's strap was just perfect last night. Well, the bass didnt dip much, but because of the grip it did ruffle my T-shirt a bit lol.

I also came away with a sore red patch on my right forearm when i was resting it on the edge of the body. Not too worried at the moment but it was uncomfortable at the time. Hopefully i wont get too many long sets to play.

Glad the new strap worked out.  I've found that making sure the strap passes over the front of the body eases the forearm abrasion, might be worth trying if you're not already.

In case you're interested, attached is a photo of my cat's cradle that seems to offset some of the neck dive, although looking at it I realise it's not quite what I described as I missed out the loop of fishing line that passes under the bridge.

JCstrapage.jpg

Edited by ahpook

Ah cool, hadnt thought about putting the strap over the front. I might try that tonight. The fishing wire idea is a good one, although i think the neck dive issue is a non issues now i have the wider strap. Cheers for the photo.

Is that a Super Tone bridge? ive just got one, although im wondering if i even need to use it. I like how my action is at the moment. Ill probably try it though. did you put felt under the bridge? Ive been reading about that and it seems like i should.

20 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah cool, hadnt thought about putting the strap over the front. I might try that tonight. The fishing wire idea is a good one, although i think the neck dive issue is a non issues now i have the wider strap. Cheers for the photo.

Is that a Super Tone bridge? ive just got one, although im wondering if i even need to use it. I like how my action is at the moment. Ill probably try it though. did you put felt under the bridge? Ive been reading about that and it seems like i should.

It is a Supertone, yes. I prefer the sound as compared with the stock bridge, it's more adjustable, the string silk doesn't need paring back and it doesn't fall apart when you restring the bass like the stock bridge does. So, um....yes....I don't regret changing it :)

Felt ? No....what's the rationale for the felt ?

Thanks for the reply. I like how these bridges are interchangeable so i think ill give the new one a go. Ill order some new strings as well.

The idea of the felt is it goes on the underneath, to give a bit more stability on the outer edges of the bridge. This is to counteract the curved top, supposedly stops any rocking movement (as opposed to Rockin' lol). I spoek to Hipshot and they said the put either a small dot of foam either side, or sometimes strips.

Interesting...my bridge sits fine - the bridge doesn't touch the curved top at all....only a small clearance, a thin bit of card, but still a bit of space.

Mind you - I think there are subtle differences between models. I have a Silverburst JC as well as the black one pictured and the control knobs are in different positions, so maybe the degree of arch can vary.

I put my bridge on and while i dont quite see a real need for the felt, i put some on anyway as it will at least protect the finish, even if its not needed for sonic reasons.

I also went and got an extra long 3.5" Levy's strap (so two new straps so far). Although the first, cheaper one was ok it felt a bit sharp on the edges, and i felt i could do with just one or two inches longer (giggady)

32058343968_f9d668cd0d_c.jpg

Jack Casady Bass with Hipshot bridge. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Edited by dave_bass5

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I put my bridge on and while i dont quite see a real need for the felt, i put some on anyway as it will at least protect the finish, even if its not needed for sonic reasons.

I also went and got an extra long 3.5" Levy's strap (so two new straps so far). Although the first, cheaper one was ok it felt a bit sharp on the edges, and i felt i could do with just one or two inches longer (giggady)

32058343968_f9d668cd0d_c.jpg

Jack Casady Bass with Hipshot bridge. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

That's looking lovely.

• Thanks 1