Why become a member? ×

I'm never gonna do a gig ... but

pecodk

that doesn't mean I cannot buy some great gear for personal use. I just bought a good bass and are looking forward to start playing. I will play at home and have looked at different options. Could use some advise from you guys.

I have read quite a lot but still I'm a little worried I might buy the wrong gear. Many bass players (seen on youtube) use Apollo, Apogee duet etc. and a small cabinet/studio speakers when playing at home. I like the idea but I don't want to sacrifice good sound (if that's the case). I also looked at different options regarding "real" amps and cabinets such as Aguilar, Genzler, Markbass etc.

I want something I will enjoy using for a long time. Hope to get some great input here before I spend my hard earned money.

What are the pros and cons of Apollo, Apogee vs amps/cabinets. Any feedback will be appreciated a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Peter

• Like 1

Nothing wrong at all using studio monitors instead of an amp/combo.

Some Apogee gear only works with Apple so you need to check that it's OK for whatever computer you're using. I use an Apogee One which is cheaper than a Duet, if it's just you then a One is perfect. I use Adam monitors which are amazing and didn't cost the earth.

Thanks Ambient :)

I use Apple so Apogee wouldn't be a problem. When I read about Apogee there are lovers and haters. Some like Apollo better, others prefer Focusrite. Some suggest to go thru a pre-amp, others don't. That is where I get confused. Is there some kind of "must have" to get a great setup?

2 minutes ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

No,  no,  NO !,  you want at least a hundred watt ALL VALVE  head amp and a big bugger-off bass cab for that floor shakin' radiator  rattlin'  curtain wafting sound. I have a bus stop outside my place and if the would be  passengers ain't turning round to look, it needs turning UP !    Apples ?,  really ?

Couldn’t agree more 😀 rumble the house down 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pecodk said:

Thanks Ambient :)

I use Apple so Apogee wouldn't be a problem. When I read about Apogee there are lovers and haters. Some like Apollo better, others prefer Focusrite. Some suggest to go thru a pre-amp, others don't. That is where I get confused. Is there some kind of "must have" to get a great setup?

It’s entirely up to you. 

I do occasional solo bass gigs using an apogee one into a MacBook into the PA. It sounds great. If you’re using a Mac then you’ll at least have GarageBand, that has some great amp sims.

• Like 1

I'd be looking at maybe an Ashdown valve  combi with 12" speaker, not too big, the company has  excellent  aftermarket  reviews, even on secondhand  stuff, it could do from bedrooms to small gigs,  when it rains, take yourself to a fair size music shop, try what you can, take your own axe, and if all their stuff is new,  look for secondhand of what you like, in Basschat first of course !

• Like 1

Yes why not support Basschat when buying used. I already did - and I will buy more stuff thru this forum in the future, that's for sure

4 minutes ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

I'd be looking at maybe an Ashdown valve  combi with 12" speaker, not too big, the company has  excellent  aftermarket  reviews, even on secondhand  stuff, it could do from bedrooms to small gigs,  when it rains, take yourself to a fair size music shop, try what you can, take your own axe, and if all their stuff is new,  look for secondhand of what you like, in Basschat first of course !

:)

I play reggae and a little bit of funk and I’ve been through quite a selection of amps and cabs for home use   I currently have the MarkBass Little Mark 250 Black Line Amp and the Markbass New York NY151 Cab , it has great low end  and a very clean sound  , it works good for me 😀

• Like 1

I never use an amp at home, haven't for years. I use garage band sometimes, mostly though i just use direct monitoring from my interface, sometimes with one of my preamp pedals and it sounds good to me. My headphones were relatively cheap too, dont need to spend much. My MacBook was the most expensive part, and that's not essential unless you want garageband. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ambient said:

Nothing wrong at all using studio monitors instead of an amp/combo.

Some Apogee gear only works with Apple so you need to check that it's OK for whatever computer you're using. I use an Apogee One which is cheaper than a Duet, if it's just you then a One is perfect. I use Adam monitors which are amazing and didn't cost the earth.

You'll be fine with any of the real amps you mentioned

Things don't get complicated until your gigging live. Keep that in mind in case of the remote possibility you end up gigging.

Blue

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zranyard said:

I never use an amp at home, haven't for years. I use garage band sometimes, mostly though i just use direct monitoring from my interface, sometimes with one of my preamp pedals and it sounds good to me. My headphones were relatively cheap too, dont need to spend much. My MacBook was the most expensive part, and that's not essential unless you want garageband. 

Nice.

For woodshedding, I use an old Korg amp modeller, headphones and my phone. Sometime I'll practice with nothing but a bass and nothing else. When your using a modeller and headphones you can easily over estimate your abilities.

Blue

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

When your using a modeller and headphones you can easily over estimate your abilities.

I find quite the opposite. Playing through cans really magnifies even the slightest errors and makes me realise how unpolished I am.

7 hours ago, pecodk said:

If I need to rumble the house down - then what suggestions do you guys have. I like Motown, old disco and funk. Hit me :)

Soul and Disco... I bought a new Ampeg BA-110V2 40W rms bass combo (60 degree kickback) for only $200 cdn. Something about the small 10" speaker and 40W rms combination makes a beautiful tone. (pay more or less for different speaker size, but the 10" speaker has the best sound to my ear but it is only a practice amp) And lighter than my Classic SVT head alone, never mind the 810E refrigerator cab (which I can't really play at home without destruction...).

Another $100 and I could have bought the 12"@75W, which actually can be used in a small venue, but I liked the sound of the BA110 much better, after a couple of hours comparison.

I've placed it under my desk, pointing up at me (kickback). I can't imagine a better practice amp for the home. Now I can get great Motown bass tone as I play along with CD's without shaking down the house. If I knew any musicians, I could take it to their place, it's so light to carry (34 lb). Being a combo there's no fuss.

I'm not selling gear. But I'd be interested in what others think. All I have to do now is mic it through a PA for live performance LOL!. But who wants to see an old man gig...?   

Edited by StringNavigator
  • Like 1

Who says that you need an amp for home use?

A half decent amp modeler with headphones is all you need if you want to amplify things, or just play your bass without plugging into anything. That at least is simple, cheap, and only needs you and your bass.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Who says that you need an amp for home use?

A half decent amp modeler with headphones is all you need if you want to amplify things, or just play your bass without plugging into anything. That at least is simple, cheap, and only needs you and your bass.

This.  From experience IK Multimedia Amplitube or Line6 Pod Farm are excellent, and I know there are lots more. You can get great sound through headphones if you need to practice quietly, or maybe add studio monitors if you’re not worried about volume.  

Out of interest why will you never gig? If you simply don’t want to then great, but don’t rule it out just because you’re only just starting to play. 

• Like 1

IMO if you are never going to gig you'll be missing the best part of being a bass player, but. . . .

You can go down the heahphone route with something like a Phil Jones Bass BigHead. This will take up no space and cause the least noise, so you can play late at night.

There are good small combos around, like the Markbass CMD 121P. You can rehearse with one of these.

There are good small amps and cabs. A 110 or 112 cab (Barefaced, Bergantino or Aguilar etc) and a 200 to 300 watt amp (Aguilar, Markbass, Trace Elliot etc) would work well.

• Like 2