Why become a member? ×

My frets are in the wrong place...

warwickhunt

Not sure, Gene Simmons knows the name of the notes he is playing and doesn't have such an awful sound.

And this guy (not Gene) who simply can't play, doesn't know a thing about music and certainly nothing about composition is earning millions of dollars. Is it me or is there something really wrong with the "rock" music ?

Two minutes in, and I have a gradual creeping realisation that this is NOT a comedy sketch. It's like Jazz Club but for heavy metal.

This is pure horror gold - he's straight from Central Casting...

So, he apparently bought seven 'Hyperfuzz' pedals - does he chain them?  It couldn't sound worse...

Personally I like his percussive style. It sounded great with the band, and was really different to anyone else. It’s easy to poke fun because of the genre and because he’s not playing hundreds of notes but actually he did a great job laying it down and poking through the mix, imo. When I was 14 I loved it. 

Thinking about it, I subconsciously incorporated his open hand slap technique into my own polishing, using both sides of the hand for alternating slaps. 

So cheers ‘Fieldy’ If that is your real name 

:hi:

• Like 1

For those of you don’t like his tone, check out the bass sound in this, I think it’s great - completely different to what I’d normally find great, but it’s definitely got something and I love clicky bass sounds. This song would sound rubbish with clean fingered bass. 

I used to rewind the bass ‘solo’ at about 2:50 all the time!

The guys playing style & tone is obviously part of the Korn sound, so it is what it is. Not my cuppa tea but I'm not going to judge it musically. 

The thing that intrigued me was the difficulty I had in hearing a discernible note on the low strings. What does he tune it to? Are there tuners out there that can sense a low Z? 

Interesting.

6 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Not sure, Gene Simmons knows the name of the notes he is playing and doesn't have such an awful sound.

And this guy (not Gene) who simply can't play, doesn't know a thing about music and certainly nothing about composition is earning millions of dollars. Is it me or is there something really wrong with the "rock" music ?

No, not at all, that's everything that's right with rock music. I never have and never will like the notion that you have to know what all the notes on the board are called and know all about music and composition to be in a band. Terribly boring and stuffy IMO. Some of the best music can a bunch of scruffy Herberts with no real musical knowledge of what they're doing just making their instruments make the sound they like without knowing why it sounds so good, just that it does. 

Of course a lot of knowledge can help you on that road but also might make you not try something bizarre because it's not how you are supposed to do it. 

From the comments this bloke has joined a band, made the sounds he wants to, entertained millions of kids and made a fortune, all without really knowing what he's doing. I think that's brilliant and was probably the sort of inspiration that made more than a few of us pick up an instrument. 

• Like 2