Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM600 Evo 4

ern500evo

After a lot of years using various Class D amps (GK MB Fusion, TH500, RH450&750, GB Shuttle 9.2) I decided, for some unknown reason, to dust off my old chrome fronted ABM500RC at the weekend  and use it for a gig. I used my Dingwall NG2 and ran through my Barefaced Big Twin 2, and I really liked it! I’d estimate that it’s 7 years+ since I gigged this amp. I stopped using it when I bought a Warwick Tubepath, and then eventually moved to class d amps. Now this has got me thinking,  I always used to use a drive pedal in front, to give it some edge and brightness, but that was with my old MAG810. I noticed on the gig that even without any pedal switched on it sounded a lot different to what I remember, much clearer. A lot of this is owing to the darkglass pre in the Dingwall and the BF cab no doubt. It’s led to me looking at ABM600 s, and most of the reviews I’ve seen say it’s a fairly big improvement over the 500 series. So I was wondering if any of the BC collective are using the ABM600 through a relatively hifi cab? Reading reviews and watching YouTube vids is all good and well, but if any of you guys can offer some real world thoughts, it would be much appreciated! 

I’ve used my ABM600 through Barefaced cabs but I preferred it through Ashdown cabs. Each to their own, it wasn’t at all bad through the BF cabs, and indeed a good few other Basschatters love their ABM600/BF set ups.

I will add that having had previous ABM amps and MAG amps that imo the ABM600 slays them, they’re not bad amps, just that the 600 is so good. So if you liked the 500RC with the rest of your set up I reckon you’ll be over the moon putting the 600 in its place.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve used my ABM600 through Barefaced cabs but I preferred it through Ashdown cabs. Each to their own, it wasn’t at all bad through the BF cabs, and indeed a good few other Basschatters love their ABM600/BF set ups.

I will add that having had previous ABM amps and MAG amps that imo the ABM600 slays them, they’re not bad amps, just that the 600 is so good. So if you liked the 500RC with the rest of your set up I reckon you’ll be over the moon putting the 600 in its place.

I do like a fairly modern, bright sound but not all of the stuff I play requires it. Maybe that’s the reason I stopped using it originally, but that was with a passive bass and through a MAG cab, whereas no I can get pretty much all the zing from the Dingwall and BF, while the ABM seems to bring the warmer element, and it worked quite nicely. I’ve yet to see or hear anyone have a bad word to say about the 600, which is always a good sign! 

Edited by ern500evo

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s probably it for me too, I have a trebly/twangy/overdrive sound and that harshness coupled with the warmth of the ABM600 makes for a great onstage sound. 

I think that’s pretty much where I’m at Lozz. The brightness and zing from the cab and bass, coupled with the warmth of the amp, seems to be a good match. Think I’m gonna try it again tonight, but maybe use my Yamaha Attitude Ltd and see what the results are like. This is definitely an unexpected bout of GAS! 

Loved my abm600.

So much power it was frightening through my 610.

All id say is if you do get one, take lots of time to work out what each slider on the eq does, it'll help you get a real grasp of how to get the sound youre after quickly.

Also ..... Remember to work out the comical in or out  for the pre shape and active/passive button.

Oh, and they're beautiful made and finished.

• Like 1

I assume the rackmount RC version is now discontinued? It shows up on the list on Ashdowns website but if you click on it, the page is empty. Also noticed that the only place selling them is PMT. they’re £100 cheaper than the normal version, which is quite tempting as I’ve already got a rack case that my current ABM is in. 

Edited by ern500evo

On 09/11/2018 at 11:22, la bam said:

All id say is if you do get one, take lots of time to work out what each slider on the eq does, it'll help you get a real grasp of how to get the sound youre after quickly.

I tried one when they first came out and I think this is where I went wrong.  Being completely unfamiliar with Ashdown heads, I didn't spend enough time messing with it and left the store feeling slightly underwhelmed. I really must give one another try some day.

• Like 1

I use an ABM 600 (or RM800 if the gig involves bit of a walk!) through either a Barefaced Super Compact (1x12) or Super Twin (2x12). The ABM sounds beautiful through either cab, the RM nearly as good but lacks the grunt that the ABM produces even at low volumes.

I previously used an ABM 500 evo II, then an evo III, bought an evo IV but got lazy so sold it and used the RM 800 for a year, until I started to miss the ABM and picked up another evo IV in great condition for the price I'd sold mine for!

• Like 1

I’m really torn at the moment. I’ve really liked using my ABM500 for the last few gigs, and I’m sure the 600 would sound killer. However I had chance to have a play with a Darkglass M900 and it sounded fantastic! Two very different beasts. I love how fat the ABM sounds, but I also love the zinginess on tap with the M900, and the DG would also give me the opportunity to ditch my small pedal board, which only contains 2 drive pedals and a switching pedal for the channels on my GK amp. Decisions decisions. There are worse problems to have I guess! 

Well I suppose it comes down to the type of gigs you do - are you a covers band where once set up the gear stays there, or an originals band where quick changeovers are the order of the day. For me the former gets the ABM vote, the latter gets the M900 vote.

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I suppose it comes down to the type of gigs you do - are you a covers band where once set up the gear stays there, or an originals band where quick changeovers are the order of the day. For me the former gets the ABM vote, the latter gets the M900 vote.

Covers band at the moment,  covering a variety of styles. I guess, for me, a lot of it comes down to heavier amp plus pedal board, or lightweight amp and no pedal board. Strange this is, if I’d tried a M900 before I used my ABM for these couple of gigs then I think I would’ve snapped up a M900 without hesitation, I really did like the sound of it.