Why become a member? ×

Just because it’s old!

Grahambythesea

There seems to be a view that if it’s old (1970’s or before) it’s worth a lot! There have been some pretty awful basses offered on auction sites and elsewhere for ridiculous prices which the sellers seem to think must be worth a lot just because of their age. Things like Egmond, early poor quality Japanese guitars ( before they figured out that quality was the way to go) and even later offerings such as Westones for silly money.  Ow I think the Westone was a well made bass and in its day was a bargain but not at a price near half a grand!

Does anyone ever buy any of these, judging by the time they continue to be advertised, not many!

I’ve played a few older basses, 50s & 60s ones and they were ok. I preferred the 70s ones I had to those, and I much prefer my 2012 - 16 ones to any of them. Age may make them desirable but not having heard them in the mix I can’t comment if they sound that much better or not.

Those horrible Zenta / Audition / Kay etc. bits of tat that continually surface on eBay for lots of dosh - what’s that all about? The sellers often try to pass them off as 60’s / 70’s Japanese works of art, when we all know they were naff then, and still are. Not sure if they ever sell, but just falsely inflate prices and make people go digging around their lofts to see if they can unearth some similar  ‘vintage gem’ that you wouldn’t even light the fire with.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Those horrible Zenta / Audition / Kay etc. bits of tat that continually surface on eBay for lots of dosh - what’s that all about? The sellers often try to pass them off as 60’s / 70’s Japanese works of art, when we all know they were naff then, and still are. Not sure if they ever sell, but just falsely inflate prices and make people go digging around their lofts to see if they can unearth some similar  ‘vintage gem’ that you wouldn’t even light the fire with.

I picked up a '69 Kay recently - it's not great but this seller had a sensible idea as to it's value. 

Crap gear was crap in the 60s. Great gear was great. 

The vintage guitar market is a massively inflated bubble driven by greed, ignorance and an exaggeration of the relative scarcity of certain items.

Older doesn’t mean better, but some old guitars are wonderful.

• Haha 1